IGNORED

Harley or ? Tour Pak Installation

I am thinking of installing a Harley Ultra or similar type tour pack on my RSTD. Does anyone have any experiences to share with similar mods? Any ideas about using the existing quick-detach sissy bar hardware would especially be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob LeDuc

Calgary, Alberta

I had a 2005 RSTD, which I totalled in my wreck in 05. I tried to install a trunk I purchased off ebay. I installed it on the luggage rack, (RoadStar type that attaches to fender) I really liked the way it looked, but it was not real substantial. Don't think it would fall off, but it gave a little when my wife leaned back against it. Subsequently, she did not feel secure and also felt it was not nearly as comfortable. I had heard of of someone purchasing a second quick attach/detach backrest hardware and mounting one that way. New those run approximatly $600+. I think I have a picture at work. I will try to post one later today.

Have a great day.

I have the JC Whitney trunk on my RSTD. It has the same problems that Roadkill mentions. I currently use it as a hat box. It has a quick disconnect so I can take it off and put on the more substantial stock backrest when Mamma or my daughter go with me for a ride.

I think the concerns about being substantial are mostly based on the light luggage racks that are available for the RSTD. My rack attaches to the single bolt behind the passenger seat and then to the license plate bracket. I also have the Harley accessory lights on my bike, so that also stresses that hardpoint.

I'm going to look into adapting the Harley luggage rack to my RSTD so I can add a more substantial trunk like a tourpak with a quick disconnect.

there are some complete venture tour packs and luggage racks on ebay right now.thats what i put on my 05 rstd.looks just like a venture,and easy to mount.almost a bolt on.just remember if you want a complete venture tour pack the new cost is close to $2000.00 with the rack.so if you get the set up off ebay for even half that complete it is a bargain.used ones complete are very rare.:2133:

I am thinking of installing a Harley Ultra or similar type tour pack on my RSTD. Does anyone have any experiences to share with similar mods? Any ideas about using the existing quick-detach sissy bar hardware would especially be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bob LeDuc

Calgary, Alberta

Hi Bob! Then theres me that took the trunk off and it sits in my Garage. Bikes lighter in top heavy dept now without it and my tbag holds the same amount as the trunk with less weight! Margot likes it better getting on and off without the trunk

Salty

I just mounted my Harley King Tour pak to my 2006 rstd and it works fine. The tour pak came with a luggage rack and lights which I haven't wired yet. No problem

I tried to view your gallery and it says there aren't any pictures. Could you send at least one showing the mounted tour-pack? Also ho did you connect the Harley hardware to the Yamaha frame?

Thanks!

Once I mounted the factory rack which I got on ebay I set the trunk on so I could see exactly where I wanted it and I used a magic marker underneath and marked where it should be. Took off the rack and turned the trunk upside down and put the rack on according to my marks and drilled holes thru certain bolt areas(6) and then went to lowes to get bolts to bolt it on. Fits good and tight and looks good, I didn't want to put anything in between to raise it up. I took it off yesterday to get it painted the same color as my bike(Pearl white) I just added some pxs because I figured things out. Will add more as I get things done.

Once I mounted the factory rack which I got on ebay I set the trunk on so I could see exactly where I wanted it and I used a magic marker underneath and marked where it should be. Took off the rack and turned the trunk upside down and put the rack on according to my marks and drilled holes thru certain bolt areas(6) and then went to lowes to get bolts to bolt it on. Fits good and tight and looks good, I didn't want to put anything in between to raise it up. I took it off yesterday to get it painted the same color as my bike(Pearl white) I just added some pxs because I figured things out. Will add more as I get things done.

Looks good - is that the factory Yamaha Venture Rack? Thanks!

Bob, that looks like a factory Yamaha rack to me - it looks very similar - if not the same - as mine.

Geresti - "took off the rack and turned the trunk upside down and put the rack on according to my marks and drilled holes thru certain bolt areas(6) and then went to lowes to get bolts to bolt it on. Fits good and tight and looks good, I didn't want to put anything in between to raise it up." - did you just attach trunk to rack - or did you put a spacer of some sort (much like the U pipe fitting that Harley provides with their rack) between the channels on the bottom of the trunk and the rack. My understanding was that the TourPak needed to seed into this (or some type of spacer) to keep the bottom from tweaking - etc.?

Yes it's the yamaha factory rack I got from someone building a trike. The trunk sets fine on the rack and I used rubber washers on the bottom and bolted it down. Of course I had to drill new holes in the trunk and filled the others with silicone. Look on ebay under yamaha venture to find these parts. I put 2 bolts in the front 2 in the back and 2 on the sides and there are places to put 2 more but it seems fine the way it is

• 1 year later...

Check This Addition To The 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe -- I Just

Added The Fairing On About A Week Ago.

The Tour Pak Came From Ebay And The Fairing From Out West.

Enjoy The Picture

Also, I had my RSTD Triked this year

RS_41.jpg

trike203.jpg

trike202.jpg

Edited by DAVID WHETSTONE
ADDED NEW PICTURE

I have 2006 rstd , traded the sissy bar for the trunk and seat assembly ,Venture stock with luggage rack, all brackets included,worked great , looks great and most of all Mama is confortable secure and happy . It came with hand grips and all complete . It was just about a bolt on application, Holes were there just needed to be unpluged , it appears Yami uses same brackets.. Best thing I ever did and did not cost , just the trade .I would look for a venture package , looks more natural, I also was luckey enough to match colors as well If you need any help on install or have any other questions Email me at jrlichtenberg@yahoo.com I will be glad to help in any way I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

That tour pak looks great. Did you use the factory luggage rack to mount the trunk? I'm looking for one just like yours. Ebay has some but nothing as nice looking as yours. I'l just keep looking though. It's a Harley tour pak though......right? Any pics of intallation etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

chachi (Tony)