IGNORED

Probably the best

mraf

This winter around here is probably the best winter for snowmobiling that I can remember in a loooooong time. I delivered a load of hay about 75 miles away from my home last Thursday. I stayed off the Interstate and took all back roads for the delivery. I'd be willing to bet there were 100 snowmobile trail crossings all being used heavily. Makes me almost want to buy one. It was in the plans this year but as usual there has been a monkey wrench thrown into that. Any of you out there sled ride and if so have you ever toured with it. By toured I mean eat and stay at motels along the trail system. If I did spring for one it would be for a 2-up machine.:snow:

Been a while Mraf but yea,, sleds and dirt bikes with Kold Kutters in the tires were a way of winter life for me for many years. I helped establish and worked in an Arctic Cat shop back in the 70's (called Grand Haven Arctic Cat, also sold Hodaka Motorcycles too - couple years later picked up Yamaha). Working at the shop, I was always dragging home trade-in sleds, everybody and their brother was building em back then. Opened my own bike shop back in the 80's and did sleds in the winter. Did a LOT of Michigan touring - it was much more expensive than motorcycle touring (not impossible but hard to camp so motels were it and sleds are not real effecient - better these days but still not like a bike). I REALLY enjoyed snowmobiling, my family did too. My bike shop was 1/2 mile from the legal sled trail here on the west side - near our snowmobile clubhouse called the Red Barn. From my back door I could ride all the way up to the Mighty Mac all pretty much on legal trails, down the other side of the state to the cross country connector and back home - BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

I also had several Thundercats (both the 900's and the 1000's) - I LOVED MY T-CATS that I modded and put long travel suspention on them (M-10, M-12). Tip and I always had at least one 2up, my favorite was a little 2 up Polaris 500 Twin all decked out - we rode the living daylights out of it!! Got older, arthritis started setting in (I can barely open my hands now beyond a "C" shape) and the cold really started causing me problems. The 4 stroke sleds were just starting to get perfected. I hear from guys I used to do a lot of cross country sled touring with who tell me that everything has really changed. Now there are sleds that will actually get 20+ MPG (just getting started in my day) and 20k miles without a whole lot of work on em ( WAY unheard of in my day - maybe 1k back than before wrench time).

For many many years I dealt with an auction service in southern Michigan called White Star Snowmobile Auction. They had a standing rule that payment was allowed by CASH ONLY. Cant tell you how many times back in the 80's I walked around nervously down there with 15 or 20k in my possession to pick up inventory, LOTS of other dealers doing the same. After a few years of doing business with them my son and I were there, sold a few left over machines , brought home a few bikes and was suppose to have not received a check from them. Week later I got my statement and there was a check for 6800 bucks, their accountants had messed up. I called the owner (names Brent) and explained what was going on. He told me to just destroy the check and than said if there was ever anything he could do for me just to let him know. I asked about accepting my checks (UNHEARD OF DOWN THERE). He said NO PROBLEM and from that day forward - I never had to carry cash!! VERY SOLID PEOPLE TO DEAL WITH!!

As the internet picked up, they setup a website. Thru the years they have, by listening to a bunch of us business guys, developed it to the point of reporting past sales with prices so we could market study and know what machines were worth and what sell points were.. I made a good living in the business and they were a part of my world for a long time. They are GOOD people to deal with - if you are anywhere near Bronson Michigan (near Coldwater - Indiana border) it would be well worth your while to investigate them for your future sledding needs - you can save some serious cash but ya gotta know what you want and what to look for. Also, LOTS of people come from other States and Canada to attend the auctions (I shouldnt say that - things may have really changed down there with ebay and craiglist at full swing). Of course, if you examine the "price reports" and compare them month to month (they keep a years worth of back log) you will soon notice that the best time to buy (cheapest) is March to September. Back when I started attending this place it was a one ring auction selling both the new and the used sleds - use to be 9 pm before we would be loaded up and out of there - seen many auctions with over 1000 machines. As far as I know, they now have a full crew and most times they are done by 3.. LOTS AND LOTS OF FUN!! yea, also a GREAT place to pickup clothing an accessories if you hit it just right!!

Anyway, the website is Snowmobile Auction and more White Star, Bronson Michigan - take a peek!

Hope this helps

Puc