IGNORED

New Deka battery install

Sylvester

Old "Sylvester" just couldn"t get fired up today. Had my tender on it but just did not have enough power. That is only the second battery in thirteen years so I don't feel bad. Ordered a new Deka from Ebay for $89.95 shipped to my door. That made me happy since that is what I paid for this one six years ago. Whenever I am not riding the bike is on the battery tender and I believe this keeps the battery life a lot longer.

:farmer:

I'm on my second DEKA AGM. I removed the first one after about 5 years but was load testing at 25% battery life and I was planning a long summer of riding. Didn't want problems on the road. Cheap insurance like they say. Still have that old battery on the shelf in storage. Still tests at 25%. I did put a full charge on it when I pulled it out a almost two years ago. Hasn't been touched since. Still will start the bike.

Now the old one has never seen the Tender since installed. Never had the charger on it. With the old wet cells the Tender was wired in. It was SOP to plug it in if the bike was going to sit for any period of time. With the DEKAs I've never had problem with the voltage dropping low enough to be a start problem.

Over time I've come to belive the best way to treat an AGM is use a low amp charger (2 amp) to FULLY charge if it's going to be in storage for any amount of time. Other than that leave it alone. I can't see a tender doing any thing to help an AGM for a few months at a time.

Just my $.02 but I've aways seen problems with AGM's living on Tenders and not a lot of good stories from that.