IGNORED

Radials vs Biased

midnightrider54

For what it's worth....while there are certain handling (suspension) aspects of the bike that can and usually are designed to take advatage of radial vs bias ply tires, I do NOT believe that the difference between the tires would preclude using the radial on a bike not specifically designed for it. That said, the one hitch is that the rims are likely to be different. I don't remember specifically, but I don't think you can use a radial on the venture rims because of the bead design. I could be mistaken on that.

That's just me thinkin out loud! One of the Venture gurus around here should be able to steer you in the right direction, though!

Guest KitCarson

It is in the owners manuals.........none of the Ventures are designed to use a radial tire.....suspension is not made for it......rims are not made for them....just not made for radials......tells you so in the owners manual.....with a big yeller caution sticker.........

It is in the owners manuals.........none of the Ventures are designed to use a radial tire.....suspension is not made for it......rims are not made for them....just not made for radials......tells you so in the owners manual.....with a big yeller caution sticker.........

Yeah, and the owners manual also has warnings saying not to pull a trailer, add a side car, convert to a trike, use any brand tires other than Dunlop and Bridgestone, but yet many do all these things with no problem..

In a bias-ply tire, the carcass (the material beneath the tires tread) is made up of overlapping layers of nylon or rayon cords. Each of the several layers stretch across the tire at opposite angles forming an X pattern, hence the term "bias." Some tires add another layer on top of the plies, called belts, and those run in the direction of the tire rotation. As a tire rotates, the small portion of the tire that meets the pavement, the "contact patch," flattens out for a split second. So as the tire rotates, it is constantly flattening out, and rebounding into shape. That constant flexing action generates heat, which is good for grip. But too much heat is the enemy, as it decreases performance and accelerates tire wear.

A radial tire has its plies running "radially" at a 90ø angle to the direction of the rotation. This design reduces heat generation, so the tires run cooler. The downside is that the sidewalls flex easier, so they are given a shorter profile. The lower profile means that they can't handle heavier loads that a large heavy cruiser, with a passenger and baggage, requires.

If a radial tire was the right size, and had a high enough load rating, I don't see any problem using them.

OH,, and Avon actually makes the Venom R for cruisers and touring bikes with load ratings as high or higher than the regular Venoms, just not in the correct size for RSVs.

Guest KitCarson
Yeah, and the owners manual also has warnings saying not to pull a trailer, add a side car, convert to a trike, use any brand tires other than Dunlop and Bridgestone, but yet many do all these things with no problem..

In a bias-ply tire, the carcass (the material beneath the tires tread) is made up of overlapping layers of nylon or rayon cords. Each of the several layers stretch across the tire at opposite angles forming an X pattern, hence the term "bias." Some tires add another layer on top of the plies, called belts, and those run in the direction of the tire rotation. As a tire rotates, the small portion of the tire that meets the pavement, the "contact patch," flattens out for a split second. So as the tire rotates, it is constantly flattening out, and rebounding into shape. That constant flexing action generates heat, which is good for grip. But too much heat is the enemy, as it decreases performance and accelerates tire wear.

A radial tire has its plies running "radially" at a 90ø angle to the direction of the rotation. This design reduces heat generation, so the tires run cooler. The downside is that the sidewalls flex easier, so they are given a shorter profile. The lower profile means that they can't handle heavier loads that a large heavy cruiser, with a passenger and baggage, requires.

If a radial tire was the right size, and had a high enough load rating, I don't see any problem using them.

OH,, and Avon actually makes the Venom R for cruisers and touring bikes with load ratings as high or higher than the regular Venoms, just not in the correct size for RSVs.

My Honda has radial tyres........with two speed whitewalls.........

Some online writeups of interest.

http://www.myatvtiresarticles.com/Motorcycle-Tire-Tips/articles/536

Another article on page 2:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5624&Page=2

..."The development of the radial tire led to frame modifications, new steering geometries and suspensions. That's why it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. Do not mix bias ply and radial tires on the same motorcycle unless it has the approval of the motorcycle or tire manufacturer."...

This last article should be read in full. It is 3 pages and gives a decent comprehensive tire discussion, including size/load/speed rating info at the end.

- Mike