IGNORED

Left side lower case break; heel-toe shifter stress caused it (and thin casing metal)

azxvz1284

I recently bought an 1988 Venture Royale that has floorboard and a Heel-Toe Shifter. The shifter linkage attaches to a shaft that comes out of the lower left side casing. What I had missed on the inspection was that the metal around the hole where the shift linkage attaches to the shaft was cracked and had been repaired. Sure enough, an hour into riding it and the metal broke; one of the edge pieces of the hole. Steel Epoxy putty and JB Weld don't hold to spec for a repair solution. I can put a standard footpeg shifter on it, but the broken/cracked metal problem remains.

Other possible repair strategies are:

a. I also have an 1984 VR and wonder if I use that piece. Is it too small because the 1984 is a 1200cc and the receiving bike is a 1300cc?

b. Can I take off the lower side cover and weld the broken piece to the cover, with more metal in the back to reinforce it?

Anyone with any other ideas? Anyone have this problem resolved?

Thanks,

Richard in AZBIKE SHAFT PROB.jpg

Wow! Some stuff going on there I don't understand. Someone sure made a mess of it.

The cover on your 84 is the same.

I broke one in the same place putting my foot through it as I hit the car that pulled out on me. I grabbed one off the parts bike I bought, but I think the original would have been weld-able. Not sure if you've got anything to work with under that gob of stuff or not....

ss. The mess looks worse than it is, but I have one I can take off a 1984 VR.

Thanks for replying!

Richard in AZ

iCarl;871172]Wow! Some stuff going on there I don't understand. Someone sure made a mess of it.

The cover on your 84 is the same.

I broke one in the same place putting my foot through it as I hit the car that pulled out on me. I grabbed one off the parts bike I bought, but I think the original would have been weld-able. Not sure if you've got anything to work with under that gob of stuff or not....

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I bought one off ebay. It did not have any cracks or visible signs of stressing near the shift-shaft portal. But, the rear side of the casting showed only one reinforced attachment point. That being said, I had it welded for more strength and support before it went back on. Only time will tell....