IGNORED

Difficulty with rider (driver) seat 99 RSV

Hi this is my first post for help. I have already had other questions, but found the answers with the search function.

I took off the rider and passenger seats to hook up the speaker/antenna wires to the trunk. (Previous owner took off the trunk, can you believe it!)

I know this sounds really lame, but I can't get the tab on the driver seat to go into the bracket. Yes, it's the original '99 OEM non-pillow seat. It looks like the previous owners couldn't either, because the bottom of the tab is all mucked up from scraping on the top of the bracket. I tried like 20 times and whenever I think I got it and the bolts are in the holes, the tab still didn't catch.

What's the trick? I already have the idea to maybe trim a 1/4-inch off the tab and add a reverse bevel to the end, and see if it does the trick. I can imagine it's just barely missing it under there. thanks for your help

This is not uncommon. If the seat was installed wrong and ridden that way for any length of time it can become distorted. Usually I can apply (considerable) force to the center / back of the seat and get it forced into place. Be careful doing this as the rubber tabs can be knocked off the seat and end up behind the battery. Once the seat in correctly in place riding with it there will somewhat undistort it over time. I have thought about hearing the pvs up with a heat gun and flexing it. But so far have not drummed up the courage.

Good Luck. Ride Safe.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem once. I had put seat back on and missed the tab and rode it that way a while. Tap gets chewed up some from riding on it I bet. You have to bend the tab back open some on the seat......It's mashed shut some and won't go back till it's opened up.