IGNORED

Compression test question

Where is the TCI on my 1984 XVZ12DL-R, so I can unplug it (TCI needs to be unplugged during compression test...right?)?

What are the compression values (what is spec) on a cold engine? No use debating hot vs cold engine compression test in my case as the engine does not start at this time so point is mute.

Will post wet and dry numbers later today....thanks

Pat

Where is the TCI on my 1984 XVZ12DL-R, so I can unplug it (TCI needs to be unplugged during compression test...right?)?

What are the compression values (what is spec) on a cold engine? No use debating hot vs cold engine compression test in my case as the engine does not start at this time so point is mute.

Will post wet and dry numbers later today....thanks

Pat

The TCI is located under the battery, in front of the air box. BUT, you do not need to disconnect the TCI in order to check compression. You should ground the removed spark plugs to the engine block, though, to prevent possible damage to the TCI.

Proper compression check on the Venture requires the throttle plates/butterflies to be wide open when cranking and checking compression.

Most Ventures are showing 125-170 psi when the compression is checked, however the absolute pressure is not as important as all four cylinders exhibiting similar pressures.

You will require an 18mm thin wall, deep socket. If you get an 18mm thin wall spark plug socket, it will probably have a hex on the end. Get a ratching box end wrench to fit the socket's hex and you will turn the job into a five minute chore. It can take a very long time to change the spark plugs on the Venture if you don't have the proper tools.

Make sure to clean out the spark plug 'well' in the head before attempting to remove the plugs. Assorted debris (coins!, nuts, pebbles) have been discovered sitting in the spark plug wells. Sometimes this debris and foreign materials prevent even the correct socket from engaging the spark plug. Other times that debris will fall into the combustion chamber when the spark plug is removed.

Thanks for the input,

Well, I learned some things...#1 these plugs are a pain! I wasn't able to get the compression test complete because the auto parts loaner compression gauge didn't have a fitting to fit my bike (Venture - 2 Me -0)!

Was able to get all my plastics off and secured (except the main portion of the fairing which, I'll leave on the bike)...Will pick up a compression gauge later this week....anybody know the correct fitting needed?

Will begin reading up on carb removal as a rebuild will be my winter project....any help with good threads/tutorials would be appreciated.