IGNORED

Exhaust smell in bubble

Motiv

On my '99 RSV I detect exhaust fumes at speeds from 30 mph to over 80. The smell is not super strong but constant. The wife does not smell these fumes and her sensor is much better than mine.

The only thing not stock is the extra wide show chrome 14" windscreen.

Is the negative air pressure low enough to draw it into that envelope? Is this common on these bikes.

I haven't gotten drowsy yet but the longest ride I've taken thus far is 225 miles.

If its pretty much all the time and not just a freak thing that you smelled during certain wind conditions, I would bet on the windshield.. I have ridden a few bikes with oversized windshields (bought/sold a 93 Wing that had a MASSIVE shield on it - did exactly what your saying)..

I have seen windshield vents out there, I wouldnt be surprised that a set of those may help.. Another thing that would help would be exhaust turn down tips but I have no idea whether they make em for an RSV...

On a positive note,, I bet your wife really likes the added protection of that shield!!:backinmyday:

Welcome to VR Motiv!

Puc

sounds like your having carb issues several things to chk easy one is chk your carb vent lines may have one or more plugged - bad gas cap - carb float level - leaking fuel line etc. a hot engine with these issues will cause exhaust smell

If its pretty much all the time and not just a freak thing that you smelled during certain wind conditions, I would bet on the windshield.. I have ridden a few bikes with oversized windshields (bought/sold a 93 Wing that had a MASSIVE shield on it - did exactly what your saying)..

I have seen windshield vents out there, I wouldnt be surprised that a set of those may help.. Another thing that would help would be exhaust turn down tips but I have no idea whether they make em for an RSV...

On a positive note,, I bet your wife really likes the added protection of that shield!!:backinmyday:

Welcome to VR Motiv!

Puc

I have the same problem on the trike, but for different reasons. There are a couple of aftermarket turndowns that are made to fit the RSV, but the cheapest way to go is find a set of Harley turndowns. I picked up a set NOS Harleys off eBay for a 'C' note. Famous-maker slip-on aftermarkets will put a big dent in your wallet.

Ditto on the vents....

sounds like your having carb issues several things to chk easy one is chk your carb vent lines may have one or more plugged - bad gas cap - carb float level - leaking fuel line etc. a hot engine with these issues will cause exhaust smell

It's a exhaust smell not gasoline, unless what your meaning it's making the bike run richer? I will be replacing the intake boots under the carbs, they have cracks but I don't believe they are all the way through, squirted some starting fluid on them while the bike was running and the engine did not speed up.

I picked up a set of fishtail slip-ons I will first install them and see if it helps, if not I will put the original real tall windshield on. It is not an issue with the 5" tall shield cause all you get is wind.

It's a exhaust smell not gasoline, unless what your meaning it's making the bike run richer? I will be replacing the intake boots under the carbs, they have cracks but I don't believe they are all the way through, squirted some starting fluid on them while the bike was running and the engine did not speed up.

I picked up a set of fishtail slip-ons I will first install them and see if it helps, if not I will put the original real tall windshield on. It is not an issue with the 5" tall shield cause all you get is wind.

On the boots they have a... what looks like.. a plastic sleeve on the inside. The only area that might possibly leak is up around the carb clamp where it's all rubber. That's why I just replaced those on the '99. The rubber was cracking, but it was up under the clamp that had me worried, so R&R'd them. Figured they were due...

• 2 weeks later...