IGNORED

Installing LEDs in Side Bag Reflectors

I installed LEDs in the side bag reflectors. Wired in as running lights. Supplies are the same as my prior post on doing the rear reflectors except for the plugs. I used two wire Hopkins trailer plugs. I'll post a picture. For the other supplies go to:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=88389

REMOVAL

The reflector and turn signal housing are one unit. Remove the bulb from the bottom of the turn signal. Inside the side bag are 3 acorn nuts that attach the assembly to the bag. Remove these. Now the entire assembly should pull out. If it doesn't pull out easily, make sure you have removed the proper nuts. One is behind the rear bulge.

Remove two screws holding the reflector to the base. There is also a soft adhesive attaching it so you may want to apply heat. My garage in Florida is about 120 degrees so mine came apart. When you have pulled the end apart, you can slide a razor or knife to cut through the rest. Once it's apart, remove the old adhesive.

INSTALLATION

Drill a 3/8 or 1/4 inch hole through the lower rear of the reflector base for the wires. Attach the connectors to the LEDs and test. I used 9 lights in the lower row and 6 lights in the upper row but you can use more or less. After testing, peel the adhesive from the back of the LED strip and secure in place leaving room for the wire to thread through the hole. I also glue the LED connector to the base to prevent it from loosening. Thread the wires through the hole.

Reattach the lens to the base using some type of sealant adhesive. I used Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant. Attach Additional wire to the connector wires. How much wire depends upon where you are going to splice it in. I already had wiring in place for the rear reflectors so I didn't need too much. If you are making the connection to the harness under the seat you will need more. Decide where the plug is going and splice it in. Wrap the wires in electrical tape.

I ran the wire under the side bag. If you are running it to the top you can follow the turn signal wires. Find the wires coming from the tail/brake light and follow to the plug. There should be 6 wires to the plug and 3 coming out. The wires on my bike are blue, yellow and black with the blue wire for the tail light. You can splice the wires in here. Do both sides before splicing in the wires.

I test at each step of the install. So, I have a wire attached to my battery or other unswitched terminal to connect to the wires for testing. Use enough wire to reach the place you're testing.

Reattach the lens/directional to the side bag. Replace the turn signal bulb. Look under the side bags and run the wires to keep them from hanging down. Use zip ties to attach. Keep in mind, when removing the side bag you will just want to be able to unplug the wires and lift the bag free so don't secure the wires in a way that will prevent doing that.

PICTURES

1. Side bag with assembly removed

2. Base with lens removed

3. LEDs attached to base

4. Back of reflector showing wires

5. Plug

6. Reflector installed

If you're doing the rear and side reflectors you can plan the wiring to be most efficient. I did the rear first then did the sides as an afterthought or I would have wired mine differently.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I see that you used red LEDs on the rear light mod, Vito, which I understand is the best color to use behind a red lens. What color did you use for the side lights?

I used the left over red lights since they went into only the red reflector.