IGNORED

83 Venture upgrades

Hello to all you happy people. I've got the 83 running fairly well after it sat under a leaky awning in Southern Miss for 5 years. Replaced lots of rusted / busted parts and it's looking much better, too.

I was thinking about doing some of the upgrades I've seen on here and want y'all's guidance (I originate in the Florida panhandle where "y'all" is used both for singular and plural applications so I hope I didn't confuse any of y'all just then. Don't know which state uses that "all y'all" crap for plural...). Looking at doing the brakes, the anti-dive units and maybe other little things that will help, like braided brake lines.

So which parts are interchangeable without mechanical mods involving welding or similar techniques? I've tried to glean most of this from other posts but still not sure what to shop for. Thanks, y'all.:puzzled:

Most of what you need can be gotten all from one place. See Skydoc_17 in the classifieds.

With the progressive front springs you no longer need the anti dives. Most people don't even need any air pressure in the front shocks either.

There is a kit to replace all of the brake lines with braided stainless, and delink the front and rear brakes.

He also has the brake pads and cylinder rebuild kits.

None of this requires any cutting or welding.

For better brakes, some poeple switch out the MK1 (83-85) for the MK2 (86-93) forks, to which they can add the R1 calipers for increased stopping power. There's probably a thread with the info, can't recall off the top of my head.

The '83 is a special bike, altho a lot of parts will cross swap with other years, there are some things to watch out for. Carb #2 has an extra port for ignition advance, dash is unique, CDI (or the "computer") is unique, '83 frame might break at center stand. These are just a few off the top of my head.

BUT...the '83s are the FASTEST!!! :whistling:

-Andrew

The '83 is a special bike, altho a lot of parts will cross swap with other years, there are some things to watch out for. Carb #2 has an extra port for ignition advance, dash is unique, CDI (or the "computer") is unique, '83 frame might break at center stand. These are just a few off the top of my head.

BUT...the '83s are the FASTEST!!! :whistling:

-Andrew

I swapped out the dash for an '84-85 I think with cruise to get the digital gear indicator. This after mistakenly purchasing a newer harness, 41H it seems. Original was heavily mod'ed by the PO and I didn't do enough research before buying a harness. Anyway, had to purchase other items to be compatible with the newer harness, master cylinder, gear indicator, various relays.

Computer had lots of rust from 5 years of rain draining down, and would cause the bike to cut out when the engine heated up. Moved it to the top of the air filter housing and cleaned it extensively and don't have that problem for now. I read about swollen components inside; didn't see that but at some point may invest in a replacement unit.

Bike runs out of guts around 55 except going downhill. Trying to get it to a local shop to sync the carbs but haven't had time. Rebuilt the carbs and did a thorough cleanout of all the passageways; just replaced all four diaphragms from Sirius. Thought about getting a sync'er but not even sure I'm keeping the bike. Just realised all this is :sign06:

I'll have to get down on the ground and try to look at the frame, there's quite a bit of surface corrosion from the weather. Had the rear frame off many times doing all the resto work and keep thinking I should replace it, but don't wanna go too far replacing things.

Will look at the newer forks and R1 brakes, was it? Thought they were just newer model Venture units. Thanks for the input.