IGNORED

Gps Options

Guest gregs02

Guest gregs02

I looking at buying a GPS but i can't afford an ZUMU 450 -550 or a TOM TOM RIDER,,what other GPS units can i use thats a little cheaper.

i use a hand held and a bike mount to hook it to the bike, so there are a lot of ways to go with out spending an arm and a leg i like the fact that i can use it as a hand held to for hunting and fishing i also use it for geocaching with the grandkids very handy and much cheaper you should check ebay for a deal

a few years ago i gave over 400 for mine and right now you can get the same one on ebay for less then a hundred its a good unit just discontinued by the manufacture

the one i use is Magellan's Meridian series platinum

goodluck

Dray

I looking at buying a GPS but i can't afford an ZUMU 450 -550 or a TOM TOM RIDER,,what other GPS units can i use thats a little cheaper.

I picked up a Whistler... of radar detector fame.... from WOOT for $200 last year and they just offered another GPS for $109 a couple of days ago. GPS's show up all the time. They don't have all the buttons and whistles that a ZUMO would have, but they're pretty informative. The only thing I find annoying with the Whistler is the non-existant screen in bright sunlight. I cured that problem with a home made shade.

I use a MIO 310x that I bought on Ebay. Its discontinued, but you sometimes you still get new ones there. I really like it. Its got MP3 and GPS and its very easy to use. I suppose the only down side is its not waterproof. I just cover it with a plastic bag and it has never been a problem.

Here's a link to a new one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mitac-Mio-DigiWalker-C310x-Car-GPS-Receiver_W0QQitemZ190205528918QQihZ009QQcategoryZ148488QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

hows this and its water proof this is what i have and i payed 3X this a few years back

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-Meridian-Platinum-Handheld-GPS-BONUSES-NEW_W0QQitemZ330219200458QQihZ014QQcategoryZ94875QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is a Gold unit its basicly the same as above and it comes with the maping software i just purchesed a disk a few months back and its over 100. for one disk

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-Meridian-Gold-Handheld-GPS-MANY-EXTRAS-NEW_W0QQitemZ230232687234QQihZ013QQcategoryZ94875QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

just some thoughts for you good luck

Guest mmmouse

:080402gudl_prv:Check out the sporting goods section at walmart. I stumbled into a IWay 600c marked down from 690.00 to 169.00. Don't know if there are more out there. Cashier said it was a discontinued model but for that price, with 5" color screen, waterproof and marine capable. I had to have it. It is a jewell.:080402gudl_prv: Whatever you get, don't play with it while you're riding :no-no-no:.

What about a Garmin StreetPilot? They are easy to use and have all the GPS funcionality that would be usefull. Not some of the other bells and whistles like blue tooth or satelite radio but very good GPS. Not waterproof but could be bagged. Here is one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-C340-V8-TALKING-GPS-DEVICE-TRAFFIC_W0QQitemZ360033320141QQihZ023QQcategoryZ94872QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What about a Garmin StreetPilot? They are easy to use and have all the GPS funcionality that would be usefull. Not some of the other bells and whistles like blue tooth or satelite radio but very good GPS. Not waterproof but could be bagged. Here is one on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-STREETPILOT-C340-V8-TALKING-GPS-DEVICE-TRAFFIC_W0QQitemZ360033320141QQihZ023QQcategoryZ94872QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder how this would handle being mounted to the windshield on a RSV?????? These would be a good less expensive option if you could get it to stay using the windshield mounts.

Anyone use their phone with GPS???? like maybe a blackberry or palm phone with mapping software. Sprint has GPS navigation on their phones and I was thinking about geting a new phone anyway, so if it worked well that might be another option.

I've played with google maps and the built in mapping on my blackberry and it's not very good. It's slow and often doesn't refresh quick enough to keep up with travelling - I don't drive that fast!

I bought a streetpilot 330 a few years ago and when I got my Venture I then bought a RAM mount that works great. The device isn't waterproof so I take it off in the rain but otherwise it's great - my mother in law made a shield that shades the screen in bright sunlight but that wash out in bright light isn't too bad anyways.

My wife has since snagged the 330 for her car so I bought a nuvi 250 ($200 at Black's Photography) which has the same functionality of the 330. They are so easy to use I would recommend them for anyone.

They don't do multiple routes like the 2760 (you know: from here, to here, to here...) but it'll do one route with a via point on the way.

I just need a different RAM mount for the nuvi on my venture but they sell for about $9.

the nuvi's and streetpilots come with all the maps of North America pre-installed, are updatable, have rechargeable batteries that last more than 6 hours and can be recharged with a regular USB cable. No bluetooth or MP3 player but you can get a picture slideshow on the nuvi (I don't know why...)

My advice is to stay away from Magellan and Lowrance. My wife owns 2 GPS and I own 2 GPS. I have the Magellan 760 and Lowrance Iway 350C. She has the Magellan 700 and the Nuvi 660. They all work very well in a cage, but none of them are waterproof. My only problem with Magellan is they charge for the upgrades. I upgraded both Magellans last year and the cost was $105 each. Magellan sends you the upgrade on a CD. Magellan is a good GPS, but I would not buy another because of the upgrade expense. Her NUVI 660 is a very good GPS and has Bluetooth and all the bells and whistles, but is not waterproof. I bought the Iway 350C just for the motorcycle. It has a lot of features, but it turns off on the the motorcycle on hot days (above 85) from getting too hot. Sometimes it locks up or turns off from vibration on the motorcycle. Lowrance was quick to tell me that it was not designed for a motorcycle. Having said all of that, you get what you pay for. I am looking at the Zumo 550 again. I looked at it before I bought the Iway 350 for the RSV. I did not want to spend $700-800 for another GPS either, especially since we already had 3 of them. I am looking at the Zumo again. I saw it for $492 today on line with free shipping. I regret not buying the Zumo instead of the Iway last year. It is cheaper to buy a GPS that has proven it is motorcycle friendly and has all the features that you are looking for, rather to have to replace them as I have done and am getting ready to do again. You may spend a little more than you want to now, but it will be worth it in the long run. I would make 2 recommendations to you, buy a GPS that is waterproof and a GPS that has an FM modulator. The FM modulator lets you hear the directions through the radio speakers or the helmet headset. I also carried a plastic bag to cover my Iway when it was raining. Unfortunately, it got soaked when I was in a shopping center and did not realize it was raining. I forgot to take it off the mount before going in the mall. It actually stopped working. Lowrance, to their credit, did honor the warranty, even though it was my fault. They did not repair it, they sent me a new one. It works great in the car, but has the same problems on the motorcycle as the first one. It is worth a few extra bucks to buy a GPS the first time that will meet all the needs on a motorcycle. Now let me go spend some more money and buy that Zumo 550 and get it over.

• 4 weeks later...

Coming into this a bit late, but I use a Garmin 2720. Good mapping, touch screen, and waterproof. You can get a bike mounting kit to attach to your handlebars for about $40 that will hardwire the power and give you a jack to plug into your intercom system.

Also, comes with a remote, so SWMBO can actually change things around while on the move.

These units go for about $150 on E-Bay fairly regularly. You can usually find one cheaper that doesn't have the car mounting hardware, but for the bike not a problem.

Paul

My advice is to stay away from Magellan and Lowrance. My wife owns 2 GPS and I own 2 GPS. I have the Magellan 760 and Lowrance Iway 350C. She has the Magellan 700 and the Nuvi 660. They all work very well in a cage, but none of them are waterproof. My only problem with Magellan is they charge for the upgrades. I upgraded both Magellans last year and the cost was $105 each. Magellan sends you the upgrade on a CD. Magellan is a good GPS, but I would not buy another because of the upgrade expense. buy a GPS that is waterproof

I use a Magellan and mine is waterproof! and upgrades to the firmware is free online i have hooked mine up to my computer and upgraded several times over the years i have had it not only that but i can change the firmware from land to the marine in about 15 minutes and the unit i have will float if droped in water and yes i could buy upgrades if i wanted the CD's but why when i can get it online free just by going to their site and searching for the right update for the unit i have never had to pay for anything other than a cable to plug it into a cigerett lighter and mapping software

and here is a small unit by Magellan its water proof and will do what most need at a good price

http://www.magellangps.com/products/product.asp?tab=0&PRODID=1750&SEGID=391

buy what you want or like that works for you check them all out first and good luck