IGNORED

flat on rear tire.... to plug or not to plug?

midnightrider1300

Everyone has an opinion on this subject (plug a MC tire ...or not..

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I carry a plug kit on my Wing. I will use it if and when I need to just like I have for years on Car tires.

I plugged many a tire in my day when I had my service station in Greenville, PA.

Of all things, I went to a class on plugging tires one night, amongst other things being taught that night.

Always use plug glue when plugging a tire. It does two things.

(1) It sure makes pushing the plug into the tire a whole lot easier...

(2)..As it dries it bonds / seals the plug to the tire.

Important notes:

• Insert plug where the plug insert tool is half way (in the middle) of the plug.
  • Fold the plug in half around the insert tool where both legs of plug are same length
  • Applying glue to the entire plug
  • Carefully align at same angle hole is in tire then push/ insert it in the tire and continue pushing the insert tool all the way until the two plug leg ends are barely sticking out of the tire.
  • Now, rotate the handle of the plug tool 180 degrees. Do NOT pull the tool out until you rotate it. Rotating it a little knot on the inside of the tire which aids in plugging the hole from the inside plus eliminates the plug from working its way out of the tire.
  • Once you rotated the insert tool 180 degrees, pull outward on the insert tool and remove it.
  • You can leave - or cut off - the two plug ends sticking out, flush with the tire.
  • Add air to proper inflation limits
  • Now go ride that darn thing like you always have...That plug wont pop out and does not make the tire any less safe.

I have, and will, ride MC tires with a plug it until the tire needs to be replaced.

Heck, I would even ride on a MC tire that has two or more plugs in it.

Everyone has an opinion on this subject (plug a MC tire ...or not..

Here is my 2 cents for what it's worth.

I carry a plug kit on my Wing. I will use it if and when I need to just like I have for years on Car tires.

I plugged many a tire in my day when I had my service station in Greenville, PA.

Of all things, I went to a class on plugging tires one night, amongst other things being taught that night.

Always use plug glue when plugging a tire. It does two things.

(1) It sure makes pushing the plug into the tire a whole lot easier...

(2)..As it dries it bonds / seals the plug to the tire.

Important notes:

• Insert plug where the plug insert tool is half way (in the middle) of the plug.
  • Fold the plug in half around the insert tool where both legs of plug are same length
  • Applying glue to the entire plug
  • Carefully align at same angle hole is in tire then push/ insert it in the tire and continue pushing the insert tool all the way until the two plug leg ends are barely sticking out of the tire.
  • Now, rotate the handle of the plug tool 180 degrees. Do NOT pull the tool out until you rotate it. Rotating it a little knot on the inside of the tire which aids in plugging the hole from the inside plus eliminates the plug from working its way out of the tire.
  • Once you rotated the insert tool 180 degrees, pull outward on the insert tool and remove it.
  • You can leave - or cut off - the two plug ends sticking out, flush with the tire.
  • Add air to proper inflation limits
  • Now go ride that darn thing like you always have...That plug wont pop out and does not make the tire any less safe.

I have, and will, ride MC tires with a plug it until the tire needs to be replaced.

Heck, I would even ride on a MC tire that has two or more plugs in it.

I concur. I have plugged many myself (a few times on my motorcycles) and use the rubber cement, and if I can find them, rubber plugs. I hate those rope like plugs. I have NEVER had a plug fail. If installed properly, there is simply no way they can come out.

And again, if the hole is outside of the tread, the tire is pretty much toast. It is not safe to even use a patch. And by no means should you ever use fix-a-flat or slime on motorcycles.

My problem with the ride on is I like the balance beads. I would think when you put the goop in the beads would make one big ball of yuck.

Epiphany,,,,, wonder if thats why I couldnt see anything in the mirrors on my 78 Shovel Lowrider between 10 and 70 mph,, hmmmmmm,, never thought of checking inside the tires..:rotf:

I would also take into consideration the type of environment the repaired tire is gonna be ran in,, desert tarmac does some really strange things to tires, even those without patches or plugs,, just a thought..

Coming home from a few weeks of touring out west with kid in tow, rear tire was getting pretty narly.. Stopped in Sturgis at the very end of the rally.. They have tire specials out there every year and always have MOUNTAINS of take offs stacked in several locations from their vendor specials.. FYI, really good place for a freebee on road tire swap..

I noticed when tire shopping the piles that a couple HUGE piles had tires (AND SOME WERE LIKE NEW) that had been drilled (thru the tread - not the sidewalls) - obviously with the intent to keep the tires from being reused..

I happen to chat with a vendor who did the drilling and inquired.. They used a drill motor with an 1/8th inch bit in it for "ruining" the tire.. In his words, "our insurance company requires us to destroy take offs and once a motorcycle tire is punctured they considerate it destroyed and are no longer liable if someone gets hurt if they are crazy enough to try and fix one"...