IGNORED

NOT motorcycle---Need help w/Ford Power Control Module (PCM)

frankd

A dome light got left on in my 2001 E-350 w/ 6.8L V-10 engine, and the battery went completely dead. I hadn't driven it for a month or so, so I have no idea how long it was dead. I charged the battery (and found the dome light on), and the engine would crank, but not fire at all. I connected my Actron CP9180, and it would communicate some with my PCM, but would not find or show the enginge sensor outputs. I connected the Actron to my 2006 Freestar and my son's 1997 Taurus, and it worked great. I started checking things, and found that the E-350 had no fuel pressure, and the fuel pump was locked up and drawing a lot of current (20 Amps). I replaced the fuel pump, and the van started and ran fine....I thought. It still wouldn't indicate the engine sensors output. I tried resetting it with the Actron, but no help.

Last week, my son had to move some tools to a friend's auto repair shop, so while we were there, he tried his friend's Matco scanner. It also would not indicate the engine sensors, but it did tell me that I had a P1000 error code (emission test not complete), but I couldn't get it to tell me exactly what test was not finished. My Actron also showed the P1000 error, but it indicated that the oxygen sensor test was not complete. I've only driven it about 300 miles since I changed the fuel pump, but last week I did travel about 50 miles on the highway. I think the O2 sensors test should have been competed long ago. Watching the gas gauge, I think it's using even more gas than usual.

On a Ford forum, it was suggested that I disconnect the battery, short the battery terminals to discharge any capacitors and leave it that way for 30 minutes or so before I reconnect the battery. I left it disconnected overnight and when I drove it, the P1000 error seems to be gone, but it still says the O2 sensors and heaters haven't completed their tests and it still won't show the engine sensors. I drove it about 25 miles mostly at about 60 MPH.

It appears to me that my Power Control Module (PCM) has lost some of it's program, but I'm not sure enough to replace it. Any ideas how to tell for sure, or what can be done to cure this? Anybody know of any forums where I may find somebody that knows about Ford PCM's?

Frank

A dome light got left on in my 2001 E-350 w/ 6.8L V-10 engine, and the battery went completely dead. I hadn't driven it for a month or so, so I have no idea how long it was dead. I charged the battery (and found the dome light on), and the engine would crank, but not fire at all. I connected my Actron CP9180, and it would communicate some with my PCM, but would not find or show the enginge sensor outputs. I connected the Actron to my 2006 Freestar and my son's 1997 Taurus, and it worked great. I started checking things, and found that the E-350 had no fuel pressure, and the fuel pump was locked up and drawing a lot of current (20 Amps). I replaced the fuel pump, and the van started and ran fine....I thought. It still wouldn't indicate the engine sensors output. I tried resetting it with the Actron, but no help.

Last week, my son had to move some tools to a friend's auto repair shop, so while we were there, he tried his friend's Matco scanner. It also would not indicate the engine sensors, but it did tell me that I had a P1000 error code (emission test not complete), but I couldn't get it to tell me exactly what test was not finished. My Actron also showed the P1000 error, but it indicated that the oxygen sensor test was not complete. I've only driven it about 300 miles since I changed the fuel pump, but last week I did travel about 50 miles on the highway. I think the O2 sensors test should have been competed long ago. Watching the gas gauge, I think it's using even more gas than usual.

On a Ford forum, it was suggested that I disconnect the battery, short the battery terminals to discharge any capacitors and leave it that way for 30 minutes or so before I reconnect the battery. I left it disconnected overnight and when I drove it, the P1000 error seems to be gone, but it still says the O2 sensors and heaters haven't completed their tests and it still won't show the engine sensors. I drove it about 25 miles mostly at about 60 MPH.

It appears to me that my Power Control Module (PCM) has lost some of it's program, but I'm not sure enough to replace it. Any ideas how to tell for sure, or what can be done to cure this? Anybody know of any forums where I may find somebody that knows about Ford PCM's?

Frank

Send an email to Louis at agcoauto.com. He will usually answer within 24 hrs. He will be on the radio Saturday morning between 10 & 11 on WJBO Baton Rouge, LA if you want to talk to him personally . His web site has a tremendous amount of information and it may already have an answer listed. Have all my work done at his shop.

:080402gudl_prv:

Guest tx2sturgis

Did you try Ford Truck Enthusiasts? http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Over 500,000 members over there and subforum for E-Series vans so I bet someone has an answer!

You might find the answer using the public search function, or you can join for free and submit the question in the Full Size Vans section.

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian,

Yes, I put a message on that Forum on the 15th. So far it's been read 70 times and no responses.

Ok...well maybe the right person hasnt found the question yet...good luck on this.

:happy34:

Thanks guys......

Ray, I got a message from Louis already, and he said that he doesn't think my PCM is bad. He wants me to disconnect a sensor and see if the Check Engine Light comes on and I'll do that.

Neil, maybe I haven't put enough miles on it yet. Before I reset it the last time I didn't have 40 highway miles on it. Now I've only got about 25 mostly highway miles, and virtually no city mileage. I also have only started it 3X since resetting. Time will tell I guess. I did have another thought. My brother does have the same van & engine, but a year newer. I'd like to see if his shows the PIDs (engine sensors) or not.

Frank

I'll try to help if I can but I'm afraid we don't speak the same lingo. First of all if your check engine light is not on you most likely do not have any problems. Secondly P1000 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) that is set when you clear all DTC"S lets say by disconnecting the battery and touching the cables together or by just letting the battery go dead. It means that the pcm has not completed a complete monitor cycle of all sensors. Some of these sensors take a long road trip to complete the cycle. And I mean a long road trip at steady throttle. I suspect your fuel pump locked up from lack of use or just not driving enough to keep good fresh gas in it. Also the monitoring of sensors is handled differently by all test or scan tools. I call them pids. The lap tops I use as test tools are up to date and have access to a lot of information but are powered by ford software programs and supported by ford hardware. as for fuel mileage....well you are talking to a technician and there are way to many factors that can cause bad fuel mileage. Hope some of this helps. Also I am sure your pcm did not lose any of its programming. Is it possible you had a rodent attack some of the vehicles wiring while it sat idle? They can cause very strange problems some times but almost always cause a definite symptom.

kickshot

Edited by KICKSHOT
add information

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW, here's what's new with the E-350.

The P1000 error never came back the second time, but the O2 heater and sensor tests never completed. I did some more research online, and found a few people that had the identical problem with Ford Super Duty trucks. What they'd found out is that when the GVW is over 8800#, the vehicles don't need to comply with the complete OBD2 tests and they don't use the same PCM modules. Ford uses simpler computers. These people also had the same uncompleted tests showing on theirs, and they passed the emission tests. My van is rated @ 9300# and although they do plug into the OBD port, they still sniff the exhaust at idle. Then I decided that since the PCM wasn't testing the O2 sensors and I was getting poor gas mileage, that I needed to test the 02 sensors with my DVM. Both sensors were bad (they only had about .15V output and it was steady). I ordered a pair of Bosch sensors from Rock Auto and installed them. I put about 200 miles on the van over the weekend, and by Sunday it was getting about 17 MPG as estimated from the gas gauge movement. This was on mostly state highways with a speed of 55-60 MPH. There was a small amount of interstate 68-70 MPH driving. Before changing the O2 sensors I'd estimate that it was getting about 10 MPG or less.

The right 02 sensor was a bit of a pain to change. You change it from the doghouse opening, but it points straight up from the exhaust pipe. You can get the 02 sensor socket to go on, but there isn't room for a ratchet. You can't get a wrench on the socket hex straight enough to work. I ended up using a 7/8" crows foot wrench, but the sensor was real tight and took quite a bit of torque to loosen. After it was done, I looked online and saw they have what appears to be a box wrench/crow foot that goes completely around the sensor hex and that'd be a lot better than the open end crows foot. The left sensor had room for the socket and ratchet and was accessed from below and wasn't very tight. I have no idea why the 02 sensors went bad--I'm not going through any anti-freeze and my van only has 70K miles on it. Other than spark plugs and one ignition coil about 7 years ago, no work has been done. I did use anti-seeze on the plugs, but I always do that and haven't had problems before. The gas mileage hasn't been normal for a couple of years, but I don't drive it much so it wasn't important to check into.

It won't have an emission test until next summer, but I'm glad it's fixed now.

Thanks for all your help!!

Edited by frankd