IGNORED

Aux Fuel Tank

Bob Myers

Any one add an aux fuel tank to a first gen? Considering either adding one in right saddlebag or build one to place under trunk.

Other than raising the center of gravity that strikes me as a better idea than adding 4 gallons of ballast to one side.

I'll be adding one to mine when I get the sidecar installed. Probably gonna mount it between the bike and the car.

Other than that application, don't know what would be the best way to install one just on a bike.

Good luck.

My goldwing w/sidecar has a 5 gallon in the right saddlebag, no danger of being out of balance there.

Thanks.

I remember you posted that photo for me before. My fuel cell looks just like yours (but maybe only 4 gallon) and was in the right saddlebag of the GL1500 that my sidecar was previously attached to when the former owner had it. I don't think it will fit in my right saddlebag.

Guest tx2sturgis

Just thinking out loud here...

What if you mounted two smaller fuel cells...say 2 gallons, one in each saddlebag, and connected them with a crossover tube that passed about even with the swingarm pivot and back to the other side?

The crossover tube would keep both tanks at about the same level, while each one being smaller would allow for use of both saddlebags.

:happy34:

Thanks.

I remember you posted that photo for me before. My fuel cell looks just like yours (but maybe only 4 gallon) and was in the right saddlebag of the GL1500 that my sidecar was previously attached to when the former owner had it. I don't think it will fit in my right saddlebag.

Yes, and you would not believe how many times I have searched for that picture and description you posted. I was 98% sure it was on a Goldwing site!! If it won't fit in the saddlebag then I may try to con you out of it. I have actually drawn a plan to build an aluminum tank for saddlebag, just leary of doing so since it'll throw me off balance.

I like Brians idea of 2 separate unit, one in each bag even though that be twice as much welding and plumbing, a magnetic fuel pump on each would suffice to drain them down

Guest tx2sturgis

I like Brians idea of 2 separate unit, one in each bag even though that be twice as much welding and plumbing, a magnetic fuel pump on each would suffice to drain them down

I dont think you will need two pumps. In the automotive and heavy truck world, the crossover line will keep both tanks at about the same level, as long as both sides are vented.

Of course some of those use a return line from the pump to flow excess fuel back to the opposite tank it is drawn from. In the case of old-school HD tanks, and my Ural, the crossover connects the two halves of a split gas tank.

I suppose I should ask if you plan to feed the fuel to the main tank or the intake to the carbs? Just refilling the main tank, the crossover line might mean that you have to empty the tanks in several short duration fills, rather than one continuous fill.

As long as the pump pulls fuel from the 'low side' (sidestand) tank, you should be in good shape. You may need an extended vent tube for that low side, to keep from having spills in the low side due to gravity flow back to the low side when on the sidestand.

As far as more welding and fittings...well what is proper balance worth?

Edited by tx2sturgis

As far as more welding and fittings...well what is proper balance worth?

Yea, that is why I considered making a tank to fit under the trunk. Wife never rides with me on this bike any more so raising the trunk 4 inches would be of little consequence.

Guest tx2sturgis
Yea, that is why I considered making a tank to fit under the trunk. Wife never rides with me on this bike any more so raising the trunk 4 inches would be of little consequence.

I know a lot of riders do exactly that...but I do notice added weight, especially weight that moves around, and that is carried high and behind the rear axle. I bet you will too.

Guest tx2sturgis
foam and baffles will help the wiggle. I carried a box of parts to UPS in the trunk last week, weighed 28 pounds. Really didn't notice it was there. 2 more pounds for my "wants" of 5 gallons

Yep...about 31 pounds plus the weight of the tank, the pump, brackets, and fittings, and I assume, some luggage in the topbox....could add up to 60-80 pounds with a full aux tank and another package to UPS...

Or luggage. Of course most owners who add an aux tank are travelers and have more weight up there than just the tank and its contents.

You might take a look at the TourTank website...the tanks might not be what you need, but possibly the fittings will be of interest.

http://tourtank.com/Parts.html

Another website I have ordered from is Aircraft Spruce...all kinds of neat stuff over there:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/gallonfueltank.php

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ep/fuel_valves_shutoff.html

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/solidstatepump.php

Edited by tx2sturgis

The Iron Butt web site or discussion forums may be a place to look into I know they have a set of guidelines and even some suggestions on Aux Tanks as well as rules for a tank to be qualified to be used in an Iron Butt event. They probably have more experience than anyone else with such a thing and on a wide range of Bikes. Serious points can be lost if you don't make the next checkpoint in time. Poke around their site you will find the section on tanks.

I'm a Member of the IBA forums, running through the rosters I don't even see but 2 other people on 1st gen Ventures. Strange indeed.

Their rules, last I read of them stipulate max gallon allotments only for rallys. Simple SS or BB runs don't have a max gallon load. Only that like the rally tanks, they be securely mounted, and have a shutoff. My reasons are for more than just a ss or bb ride. I'd like to be able to ride all week to and from work on a single tank, my range of 140 miles or so falls a more than couple days short

Twigg bailed out of VR when he got his FJR. I can get ahold of him if you need.

However, since your wife no longer rides with you on this bike, why don't you mount the tank on the passenger seat? I have done that on my 2nd gen and it works great.

RR

I may do just that, I have a 4 gallon fuel cell with foam. Was looking at taking the pad off the passenger backrest and bolting an aluminum plate to that, and the fuel cell to the plate. And,,,, just as soon as I do that she'll suggest we take the Venture instead of the wing for a ride.