IGNORED

1990 Venture Royale quit running..HELP

bought a 1990 venture royale 1300 with a Motor trike kit a few months ago. Last weekend went on a ride about 150 miles...on the way home..the bike sputtered like it was running out of gas..had a full tank..then it just quit. Not the fuel pump or filter...had to tow it home..still wont start..no spark..ckecked all the fuse..all good. Open to any and all opinions. I'm prettty mechanically inclined and can fix most things but this has me stumped. TIA:confused24:

There are several safety mechanisms on the bike that could fail. Side stand switch seems like a more common failure. Mine was disabled when I bought my bike.

Have you checked or cleaned the stop/run switch on the right handlebar? They can go wonky and kill all your power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's start with the basic things.

Do you still have power as in lights and everything else. When you said it won't start, does it still crank over?

Is the TCI still under the coils behind the battery? If so, you may want to take it loose and move it on top of the air box. I will need to look at the schematic, but I believe if you cut the black wire coming out of the TCI, you disable all the safety features. If any of them are at fault, the bike should start.

One other thing that I know can be a problem is the tip over switch. It is mounted in a rubber strap and if the strap gets rotten, it can let it hang crooked and keep the bike from starting.

RandyA

... with a Motor trike kit

If the now redundant side stand was removed, perhaps the PO has also jumpered the side stand safety switch and that jumper has loosened. Or the side stand safety switch was left in place but some cobbling was performed to fool the side stand switch. And this presumed switch bypass has failed.

..checked all the fuse..all good

The fuse itself may be good, but it is very common for the fuse holder clips to become weak or broken. Often these clips appear fine, but are too weak to make a good connection at the fuse. Check for voltage on either side of the fuse, probing the crimped portion of the fuse holder clip. There should be same voltage on either side of the fuse. If not, then suspect a bad fuse holder clip. Many have replaced the glass fuse block with ATC/ATO fuse block.

Since its cranking over, but ignition is totally dead, one quick check would be pickup coil resistance.

-Remove the riders left side cover panel.

-On a 90-93 locate a 2 wire harness, Orange & Black wires.

Unhook and test resistance between the 2 wires going down to engine.

Resistance should be about 81-121 ohms at 68 degrees F.

Typically when the pickup coil fails, the resistance tests open.

I have lights and radio..not sure on the TCI..will have to check on that one. Thank You everyone for your help..hopefully will have it back on the road soon:fingers-crossed-emo It was not raining...

Edited by trackman09