IGNORED

Ultimate or Russell seat - RSTD

keithert

I'm debating between an Ultimate seat and a Russell seat for my RSTD. I read a lot of good things about the ultimate and I've seen almost completely positive reviews on the Russell for any bike. I can get a good deal on a used Ultimate but then if I don't like it I don't have the money to put toward a Russell.

The stock seat is only comfortable for me for about 30 minutes. A Danny Gray custom is only good for about 45 minutes.

Keithert,

I do not have an opinion on the Russell, but I can certainly vouch for the Ultimate. I have had the Ultimate rider and passenger seats, as well as the Ultimate back rests for both on my 2007 RSTD for over 5 years. It has been unbelievable. Installing the Ultimate totally changed our world as far how long we could stay in the saddle before needing a break. As you stated, the stock seat was not good. As a matter fact, it was painful after just a short spell on the bike. I ran into a guy with a Honda Valkarie that had an Ultimate seat on his bike, and he told me it was the best purchase of anything he had bought for his bike. I'm glad I listened to him because at the time, nobody here on the forum had really used Ultimate. It was mostly about Mustang, Russell, Corbin, Butler mod back then. I will now sometimes not even get off of the bike after I've ran a tank of gas out. I'll just pull up to the pump, fill up and ride on. Never could of done that with the stock seat. Couldn't have even made it a whole tank of gas without being in pain.

So, I recommend Ultimate.

Keith,

If you have the coin for a Russell Day Long, go for it. I have never heard of anyone being disappointed about buying a RDL. If you look at the seats run by the Iron Butt guys, there is a very high percentage of RDLs because they are comfortable.

Next Friday I will be embarking on a 6 day Butt Lite (think Iron Butt Rally butt only 6 days rather than 11 - run by related folks) with a Russell on my Venture. I went through mods, pads, and a Corbin before I broke down and bought a Russell. That will be the first purchase on any new LD bike I purchase.

If you intend to put on major miles, a RDL is the only way to go. However, 'major miles' is relative. If you are looking for a 500 miles per day seat, there are other options. If you want 1000+ miles per day, RDL stands alone.

RR

RedRider, How did you feel about the stock RSV seat? Did the Russell immediately resolve your issues or did it have to be adjusted by them? I was pretty happy with my 99 RSV seat.

Stock seat was good for about 100 miles. Began to use pads (sheepskin, Airhawk) and got it where I could do 1000 miles, but was sore afterwards. Specifically, the tailbone.

Had Rick Butler do his mod and it improved.

The RDL took care of the problem completely. Some folks need it adjusted, mine was built correctly first time. I can now ride multiple 1000+ mile days without my butt hurting. Other things come into play (back, shoulders, knees, elbows, etc.) but not the butt.

The real question is - How far do you want to be able to ride?

FYI - I have no experience with the Ultimate seat. I have heard only good things about it.

RR

I called Russell today and with their seat I will still be able to use my Utopia backrest so that cuts down on their cost somewhat. They are scheduling now for mid August builds and the seat would be back by the beginning of September. If I go this route I'll keep my Danny Gray seats for use in the meantime.

Normally I only need to be able to ride a couple of hundred miles a day. But I'd like to not have a limit. When I had my Venture I had no limit. While I'm waiting for the Russell I may also try a Venture seat on the RSTD.

I've had the Ultimate set on my 2006 RSTD since I got it. Now have 98k miles.

I can ride all day with out a thought.

In fact, once when I had a sciatic issue for a month, a 15 hour ride in the mountains took it away.

I wish they made a set for the RSV,,,, they don't.

(Ultimate has made a few STAR events, great people.)

You said you can get a set at a good price. You might do that. If you don't like it, sell it and get the Russell,,, which is going to cost you.

Oh, never buy a RSV Russell seat used if the previous owner was 6'4" and you are 5'9".

You will not be able to put your feet down, without standing up. Russell's saddles are ALL custom built from your body stats.

They warned me about buying used. I had one for one day. Sold it to the very tall SANDERJACK (this forum & my STAR riding friend).

Edited by Mike G in SC

Oh, never buy a RSV Russell seat used if the previous owner was 6'4" and you are 5'9".

You will not be able to put your feet down, without standing up. Russell's saddles are ALL custom built from your body stats.

They warned me about buying used. I had one for one day.

+1. To purchase a used RDL, you need to be close to the height and weight of the original owner.

RR

My wife and I bought a Russell Day Long about 2 years ago. This is the first truly comfortable motorcycle seat I have every owned. When we first got it I was not happy. I had trouble reaching the ground flat footed (30" in-seam) and I still had some discomfort after about an hour. I called them and they asked me to use it for about 300 miles then make a judgement. They would happily make a change after that. They were right. Once it "broke in" it is as good as it gets. So is the passenger seat for my wife. Once the "wings" softened up a bit I no longer had the issue of needed to slide forward a bit if I wanted to be flat footed. On our next trip we plan to do about 6 hours per day of a 6 day trip. We have done this before with no aches, pains, or stiffness. Well, maybe a little stiffness but we are both in our late 50's so I think it is us more than the seat.

I see that for a passenger over 150 the firmer suspension is required. I'm surprised the limit is that low. I will also require the extra suspension since i am right at the limit for the driver. Did you guys that have Russells have to get the firmer suspension?

I have the RDL on my 05 RSTD and put about 40K on the seat so far. No an issue since day one in the saddle. The RDL was my 4th seat, Stock, then Mustand, then Corbin dual tour, then Russell. Had issues with comfort on long rides with the first 3, but really like my RDL. Works great for me and my rider. Had to get the firmer suspension for both of us. While cost a little more than the other seats I tried, I would do it again in hearbeat.

I see that for a passenger over 150 the firmer suspension is required. I'm surprised the limit is that low. I will also require the extra suspension since i am right at the limit for the driver. Did you guys that have Russells have to get the firmer suspension?

Yes, I have the heavy duty suspension as I am a wee bit (OK, a big bit) over the limit. Worth the extra.

RR

• 1 month later...

I received the Russell seat today and got it mounted. I am using a Utopia backrest between the rider and passenger sections. I didn't have any major issues getting it all bolted together. The backrest is a bit tricky with any seat but it went on okay. This seat does not look like other RDL seats I've seen. It seems higher than others. When I first sat on it it was very uncomfortable in the sense that I was on tip toes to reach the ground. Normally I can flat foot this bike no problem. If I lean forward I can reach the ground.

I went for a 20 mile ride and the seat was certainly comfortable. The riding position is what is odd. It doesn't feel like my bike! The seating position is now more upright tourer than cruiser. I think I'll get used to it, but it is different.

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/keithert/20140905_134739_zpsqul7dfbz.jpg

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a422/keithert/20140905_234952_zpstqrz3cuo.jpg

Edited by keithert