IGNORED

Stumble at 55

While riding at a constant 55 (using gps), about 3100 rpm, for about 15 minutes it acts like 2 cylinders drop out. The speed drops and I let off and then bring throttle back up and it will run good for about 15 minutes and do it again. If I run faster or slower (58 mph and up or 52 and down) it doesn't do this. When I'm on 2 lane highways I like to ride at 55 to see the scenery (and that's our speed limit). Anyone have an idea why at this speed only?

Yep, it's the infamous 1990 'hiccup'. Mine did it at exactly at 3100 rpm or 55 mph in fifth as did several other people with 1990 Ventures. The hiccup will last just a second, though, for most everyone.

There is an apparent 'bug' in the TCI. When I swapped my stock TCI for the Ignitech, the 3100 rpm hiccup was gone. When I lent my OEM TCI to another member, the hiccup occurred on his bike.

There is no hiccup on my '91 at the same rpm or speed. Seems to be a 1990 thing.

Will a 91-93 TCI work on a 90? Probably can't find one at a reasonable price anyway.

Yes, the 1990-1993 OEM TCI are interchangeable and supposedly the same, but something must have been changed between 1990 and 1991, for I have yet to hear of the hiccup after the 1990.

And yes, they are the most difficult to find.

Since I now know this is a common occurrence and nothing is going wrong I will live with it unless I run onto a unit from a 91-93 at a reasonable price or I come up with the extra money for the aftermarket TCI.

Edited by jdross440