IGNORED

Discard Fork tube boots?

'92 VR:

I thought I would replace the fork brace with a Super Brace. Shouldn't be too hard, right? My problem is I can't get the Super Brace to fit in between the accordion style fork tube boots.

When I look at other Ventures that have the Super Brace, there are no boots on the fork tubes. Instead, they have some kind of seal pressed into the top of the lower fork tube.

I need to service my forks anyway, so can I take them down and replace the boots with seals? If so, can I just order lower fork tube dust seals?

I will rebuild the forks, so can someone who is experienced in forks advise me on what parts I need to purchase for the rebuild and to replace the tube boots?

Here is the link to the parts fiche on Boats.net if that helps any: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1992/VENTURE%20ROYALE%20-%20XVZ1300DD/FRONT%20FORK/parts.html

Thank you so much,

Richard

Fork boots are not necessary but they are nice to have. They keep dirt off the upper tube that slides into the seal in the lower tube. Most bikes don't have them. They will probably keep the upper tubes from rusting with age.