IGNORED

Clutch Slave Cylinder Leak

Rode the bike to work 2 weeks ago. The weather was beautiful and Lucy was running great. I got on the her to go home for lunch and I had no clutch. I pumped it a few times and managed to get it in gear. I limped her home and drove the car back to work. Upon investigation I found the clutch slave cylinder was leaking. The master cylinder still had fluid in it (about half full) and air was entering the system from the other end when sitting static. The leak was so slow there weren't any drips under the bike that I noticed. I ordered the new seals from Partshark and waited for their slow boat from China to arrive.

The parts came in yesterday, so last night I decided to Get-r-Done. The book says that you should drain the engine oil then remove the middle gear cover and the LH crankcase cover to gain access to the slave cylinder. It is possible to remove the cylinder without pulling the crankcase cover. As the Brits would say, "It's a little fiddly " but it can be done. You have to remove the bleeder valve and work the neck past the stator wires. Pay attention to the moves you make to get it out. You'll have to repeat them in reverse to get it back in. While you have the slave out, check the neutral switch. I found 1 of the Phillips screws half way out.

After cleaning and honing, I installed new seals and reinstalled the slave. Bleeding took some time since the entire system was drained. I put a paper bag on the ground under the bike last night to check for leaks over night. No leaks so far. I rode to work today and will keep an eye on it for further leaks.