IGNORED

The end of a long journey,,,, NOW the fun begins!!!

cowpuc

I looked under my 89VR today and it looked like if I used a jack like yours it would contact the exhaust pipes which may not be a good idea. Does it lift the bike touching just the frame or engine or does it indeed come into contact with the exhaust pipes in the front?

Thanks! I really like that jack. And I just got a 25% off Harbor Freight coupon. And I really like your Venture! It has a lot of character. I wish it could talk!

Thanks

I looked under my 89VR today and it looked like if I used a jack like yours it would contact the exhaust pipes which may not be a good idea. Does it lift the bike touching just the frame or engine or does it indeed come into contact with the exhaust pipes in the front?

Thanks! I really like that jack. And I just got a 25% off Harbor Freight coupon. And I really like your Venture! It has a lot of character. I wish it could talk!

Thanks

Actually BlueSky,, may sound crazy but ol Tweeks does talk,, to me anyway... I dont always like what she has to say but we have gotten along for many many miles now... Your right,, she IS a character..

VERY GOOD OBSERVATION ON THE JACK!!!!!! What you have to use with this jack are jack adapters or you WILL be lifting on your pipes (no different than any other under frame motorcycle lift) - and THAT is NOT advisable!!

The exhaust on this old beater bike of mine has been used as a skid plate, welded, dented, rusted, broken, reconnected with hose clamps (if ya ever get a chance to look under it you should :rotf:) and got so many leaks in it now that I dont bother protecting it anymore..:whistling: Part of the fun for ME of riding beat up ol 700 dollar Yamaha's :cool10:

Personally,, I have always thought about building a full military grade (like on my WLA) skid plate for my Venture's,, never got a round tuit, shoulda done that about 5 bikes ago.. :confused24:

Actually BlueSky,, may sound crazy but ol Tweeks does talk,, to me anyway... I dont always like what she has to say but we have gotten along for many many miles now... Your right,, she IS a character..

VERY GOOD OBSERVATION ON THE JACK!!!!!! What you have to use with this jack are jack adapters or you WILL be lifting on your pipes (no different than any other under frame motorcycle lift) - and THAT is NOT advisable!!

The exhaust on this old beater bike of mine has been used as a skid plate, welded, dented, rusted, broken, reconnected with hose clamps (if ya ever get a chance to look under it you should :rotf:) and got so many leaks in it now that I dont bother protecting it anymore..:whistling: Part of the fun for ME of riding beat up ol 700 dollar Yamaha's :cool10:

Personally,, I have always thought about building a full military grade (like on my WLA) skid plate for my Venture's,, never got a round tuit, shoulda done that about 5 bikes ago.. :confused24:

Thanks for the reply. Could you post a photo of the jack adapters? Did you buy them or make them yourself? If you bought them, where did you buy? Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. Could you post a photo of the jack adapters? Did you buy them or make them yourself? If you bought them, where did you buy? Thanks again!

Your welcome BlueSky, anytime!!

I never did buy a set of actual adapters,, I just used wooden blocks secured on a hunk of 1x6 and located em on the footpegs and crashbar mounts to lift with.. If you do that ya gotta really be careful that the blocks stay where ya put em while your lifting the bike off the ground, having them attached to a board REALLY helped with this, if you make em tight enough against the pipes it helps hold them in check too.. Been a while since I used/made em but it seems I had to cut some notches here and there to get the blocks to fit just right.. Also, kinda tricky cause the jack is putting side pressure on the bike till ya get it off the ground.. Not sure where my contraption is at or I would take a pic for ya.. Gotta also be really careful messing around with this stuff cause you dont want that 800 pound mouse trap to snap with you under it!! This highlift jack comes with tie down straps for attaching the bike to the jack,, again,, probably really smart to use them,, especially till you learn your jack and (this thought always goes thru my mind) whether you can trust the Chinese guy who welded the jack together:whistling:

Either this jack or a small floor jack model that I purchased years ago (and it is worn out now - all that is left of it from years of use is the frame work,, it was handy BUT lifted no where near as high as this one does) came with an optional equipment list that had a variety of actual "Y" adapters one could order... I always tend to go with making my own when I can cause I am cheap and I got a lot of junk laying around to use for creating my own disasters...

Telling ya,, hindsight being 20/20,, I wish I would have made a full skid plate, frame mounted for my first Venture.. Something strong enough to fully protect the undercarriage of the bike AND be strong enough to lift on - THAT would have solved a lot of headaches for yours truly!!:backinmyday:

Puc

Nice seeing what you have in mind on your trips. If you go west from Abilene on I-20, wave towards the north when you go through Colorado City (about 80 miles), I grew up out there. As far as WIFI goes there are a lot of places to catch up with your reading and posting these days. McDonalds is pretty consistent with wifi and a lot of other fast food joints are as well. But when you are in Texas you need to eat at What-a-burger, they are made the way God intended them to be so why mess with the rest.

Your welcome BlueSky, anytime!!

I never did buy a set of actual adapters,, I just used wooden blocks secured on a hunk of 1x6 and located em on the footpegs and crashbar mounts to lift with.. If you do that ya gotta really be careful that the blocks stay where ya put em while your lifting the bike off the ground, having them attached to a board REALLY helped with this, if you make em tight enough against the pipes it helps hold them in check too.. Been a while since I used/made em but it seems I had to cut some notches here and there to get the blocks to fit just right.. Also, kinda tricky cause the jack is putting side pressure on the bike till ya get it off the ground.. Not sure where my contraption is at or I would take a pic for ya.. Gotta also be really careful messing around with this stuff cause you dont want that 800 pound mouse trap to snap with you under it!! This highlift jack comes with tie down straps for attaching the bike to the jack,, again,, probably really smart to use them,, especially till you learn your jack and (this thought always goes thru my mind) whether you can trust the Chinese guy who welded the jack together:whistling:

Either this jack or a small floor jack model that I purchased years ago (and it is worn out now - all that is left of it from years of use is the frame work,, it was handy BUT lifted no where near as high as this one does) came with an optional equipment list that had a variety of actual "Y" adapters one could order... I always tend to go with making my own when I can cause I am cheap and I got a lot of junk laying around to use for creating my own disasters...

Telling ya,, hindsight being 20/20,, I wish I would have made a full skid plate, frame mounted for my first Venture.. Something strong enough to fully protect the undercarriage of the bike AND be strong enough to lift on - THAT would have solved a lot of headaches for yours truly!!:backinmyday:

Puc

You are a wealth of information! Thanks Very Much!:)