IGNORED

Can different mufflers add horsepower?

Tisunac

A couple of years ago I switched from OEM slip-on mufflers to HD Road Kind mufflers, also OEM for HD. The sound was deeper and a bit louder (not too loud, though) but I did not notice any difference in a ride or power.

A few days ago I installed HD Screamin Eagle slip-on mufflers - the Road King's were 3.5 inches and Screamin Eagle are 4 inches diameter. Started it up - the sound is a little deeper and I think they look nice on the bike (have those "downturn" tips). Then I took it for a ride and immediately noticed an increase in power!... It felt like my bike is breathing easier! Taking it to 60 MPH in a 3rd gear felt just right, with no effort. I know that Venture likes higher revs but I could tell it was doing it with less effort, and it felt it wants more!... Definitely put a smile on my face!...

I was reading about adding a little more power by installing an aftermarket slip-ons but in my case it was more than obvious. Anybody with a similar experience?

If you were to see a line graph that will show three power touque band you would notice how many times with swaps like this you may gain torque at some point of the rpm range but may lose a little elsewhere.

Weather it is hp, touque, fuel mileage drop, or a leaner burn. Something changed in that combustion chamber due to the pipes. As long as you are smiling, keep enjoying it.

Hmmmm,,, sound is an amazing thing,, it can make you feel like your bike is faster when, in reality,, you have actually lost power.. Not that I doubt you actually have gained more power,, just saying that about the only way to really know if/how much gain/loss you have is by comparitive Dyno charts..

On the same token,,, there aint nothing nowhere nohow that sounds as good as one of these V-4's with a decent set of pipes on her!!

Hmmmm,,, sound is an amazing thing,, it can make you feel like your bike is faster when, in reality,, you have actually lost power.. Not that I doubt you actually have gained more power,, just saying that about the only way to really know if/how much gain/loss you have is by comparitive Dyno charts..

On the same token,,, there aint nothing nowhere nohow that sounds as good as one of these V-4's with a decent set of pipes on her!!

Thus is like I always feel that my car is faster after a wash and wax.