IGNORED

Not motorcycle, but maybe can help some folks out

If anyone has the latest generation of Chrysler minivan, you may well know of the chance that their powered liftgate chains fail.

A web search for solutions will only reveal that the chain can't be purchased separately from the power unit. The entire new power unit runs from $190-$400, depending on where you find one. No sense looking for a used one, as that chain will already be weakened just from normal use.

I'm cheap and mechanically "obsessed", so I did some research. I only saw the number '25' on the side of the chain links. Not having a lot of chain wisdom, I googled "#25 chain". Turns out, that is a kid's electric scooter chain.

Found a place online, ElectricSccoterParts.com , bought 12" of chain, a couple of master links, a 1/2 link, and a 1 & 1/2 link (just in case). Shipped quickly.

Pulled out the dremel and cut the pin ends off some links. Removed the bad section of chain (several links had been broken). Installed the new section of chain using the master links and I think I also used the 1/2 link.

All this cost less than $19!

Now the lifgate works perfectly and my wife likes life again!

Dealer repair would have been a few hundred bucks, I guess.

My only regret is that the new chain section was beefier than the original Chrysler chain. So, I probably shoulda replaced the entire chain instead of splicing old with new.

• 2 weeks later...
Have you had any trouble with starting? TIPM or WIN module

Not yet.

Sometimes the key won't release from the ignition.

It did have the key switch recall a couple of years ago.

In the last several months, I've sometimes had to restart the car and cycle from park to drive a time or two to get it to release the key when I switch off the van.

I do all of my own car/bike/home maintenance, but don't yet know how to fix this on the cheap.

Have had to put up with it cause we have had a lot of other expenses come up this year and haven't had the time or funds to take it in to get it checked.

Otherwise, only had to change the rear brake pads and swap out the passenger front door latch.

We love the vehicle.