IGNORED

Electric fan

How can I check to make sure my electric fan works properly? My 116,000 mile bike checks out fine for valve clearance and is very clean inside but my mechanic says valve cover and side cover gaskets are very brittle like it has run hot. He ask if it heats up in the city and I told him I don't city ride. I told him I have ran it very hard for 6-12 hours on some long runs with just gas stops.

Jerry, have you heard the fan run? To start with the easy stuff first. Just go start the bike and let it idle. Depending on your outside temp at the time within oh I say 5 min or so the fan should kick on. I suppose If you suspect the fan to be inoperative check the fuses first. You could hook a jumper up to the fan connection and just run straight 12v and make sure it runs. It should be just 2 pins a hot and ground. which ever way you want to check things first. I'm for easy. Crank up and let run. If fan comes on in reasonable time, your good. Now if its like 20deg out its going to take longer I suppose.