IGNORED

Replace clutch

Ok I went to YouTube, the manual, and Ventureriders, and I'm now confused.

I have 8 friction disks in my new set of disks. 2 are different than the other 6.

One has a small square notch on 1 side and a large square notch on the other side.

The other "Odd" disk has NO marks or half circle or square notches on it.

The other six all have the half circle notches.

I took out the thin wire that holds the spacer, friction disk, and steel disk on the inboard side of the clutch basket.

Then I got side-tracked.

So in what order does everything go in there please?

I know I have a steel and spacer and a friction disk go behind and are held in by the this wire, the rest go outboard of the wire.

Any help would be appreciated!

:225:

Edited by dna9656

Quick question Doug,

Where did you buy the 8 fiber plates and are they all the same bacic size externally?

Rick

Ok I went to YouTube, the manual, and Ventureriders, and I'm now confused.

I have 8 friction disks in my new set of disks. 2 are different than the other 6.

One has a small square notch on 1 side and a large square notch on the other side.

The other "Odd" disk has NO marks or half circle or square notches on it.

The other six all have the half circle notches.

I took out the thin wire that holds the spacer, fiction disk, and steel way inside, on the inboard side of the clutch basket.

Then I got side-tracked.

So in what order does everything go in there please?

I know I have a steel and spacer and a friction disk go behind and are held in by the this wire, the rest go outboard of the wire.

Any help would be appreciated!

:225:

Quick question Doug,

Where did you buy the 8 fiber plates and are they all the same bacic size externally?

Rick

Yes there are the same basic size.

If you are trying to determine if I rec's a SET of disks I did; they were in the original box. If they weren't the same size they wouldn't work.

look at the clutch basket...there are markings..notches...dipples. They correspond to the IDEAL setting up of the clutch plates. I removed that inner disc set up..."piano wire" set up.. acts as a damper to sudden clutch release. An experienced rider does not need this. I"subbed" A standard disc and clutch plate . Left out the piano wire

The reason I ask is that there are only 7 standard fiber plates with the 8th being a half plate behind the wire. If all 8 are the same size, then the 8th is meant to replace the half plate and you can throw the wire, and both the fiber and metal half plates away.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Yes there are the same basic size.

If you are trying to determine if I rec's a SET of disks I did; they were in the original box. If they weren't the same size they wouldn't work.

as long as you have the OEM manual this is a simple job with many pictures

I wish it were; I have the manual, I have the pdf version, I have the pdf version on a 40" monitor out in the garage. The drawing in the parts book and the manual are LOUSY! The first 2 rings that go into the basket look virtually the same, there is no mention in the book about the 1/2 disk at all (at least not that I can find). I do have the Yamaha video on YOUTUBE installing the clutch but near as I can see they don't give the torque of the case cover screws anywhere; at least not where I looked!.

They do say use yamabond #4 in the text but in the front of the manual there is a paragraph on ALL gaskets and no mention of YAMABOND is made...

IN the chapter they do say to use the Yamabond #4.

:fingers-crossed-emo

Edited by dna9656

The reason I ask is that there are only 7 standard fiber plates with the 8th being a half plate behind the wire. If all 8 are the same size, then the 8th is meant to replace the half plate and you can throw the wire, and both the fiber and metal half plates away.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Yeah I got a half disk and installed it.

Thanks Rick!

Apparently all is well with the clutch! I started it up, let it get warm, (temp gauge in the

upper green zone) checked for leaks and cycled through the gears. No more symptoms of

not fully dis-engaging! After a few more projects are completed I'll take for a spin through

my little 'hood!

:322:

• 2 weeks later...