IGNORED

Need Parts!!!

Bill W.

Finally found a trunk for the ride!! That's the good news! Bad news is that I still need the key/lock mechanism, and the backrest for the Mrs to lean on! I call upon the hordes of Venture owners to scrounge through their piles of extra parts to help a fella out!!

The 85 trunk is the large one, I believe it was the first year the big trunks were introduced.

If any of you fine people can help me out, just PM me. I'm not looking for donations, I'll gladly pay for parts, and reimburse shipping.

Thanks to all the great people on this site. You have helped me with my bike in many ways!!

:bighug:

Bill, the '85 was a unique trunk, only fitting the '85. I'm not entirely sure that the '86 up backrest will just bolt on as they are a litle different shaped and have the "arm rests" sort of built into them. You may have to modify where the bolt holes are if you use a newer one. I am getting together with the guys from Ontario today and will esearch this further.

Just how much of the key/lock mechanism are you missing? Do you just need the cylander and key, or do you need the sliders, etc??

Bill, the '85 was a unique trunk, only fitting the '85. I'm not entirely sure that the '86 up backrest will just bolt on as they are a litle different shaped and have the "arm rests" sort of built into them. You may have to modify where the bolt holes are if you use a newer one. I am getting together with the guys from Ontario today and will esearch this further.

Just how much of the key/lock mechanism are you missing? Do you just need the cylander and key, or do you need the sliders, etc??

Yeah Bob, I'm thinking along those lines too. The '85 doesn't have an adjustable backrest like the 86 and ups, but it's wider than the 83-84's. The backrest may be a one year proposition and rarer than chicken lips to find used....... Here's a pic of Max's in Reno.

http://www.pyramid.net/Nitro/Venture/ToddnVenture.jpg

After posting the previous I got to thinking maybe it might be easier to replace the entire trunk with an '86-'93?? The mounting rack would have to be changed out, but I've seen others who've done the swap out for the larger bags and trunks on their '83-'84's, so it can be done. I'm not sure what you'd run into with the mounting rack being interchangeable, or if you'd have to swap out the subframe as well, but maybe someone who's done the swap will chime in?? Finding that backrest will be tuff, but miracle's do happen.

I need the entire lock unit, I believe Yamaha calls it a GRIP, SADDLEBAG, p/n 54K-28408-00-00, from the parts fiche TRAVELBAG, item #42.

The backrest is from the same , item #47.

I'd really like to stay with this particular trunk. I found it, still in the original box, at my local dealer. It matches my paint, and he gave me one heck of a discount on the price. According to the parts fiche, the lock p/n is the same from 1985 to 1990.

Just my luck, though. I finally find a decent trunk, but won't be able to dig up a backrest!! The wife says she won't ride with me until she has a backrest to lean on. Now I really have a dilemma!!!!