IGNORED

Main Fuse Melt Down

[ATTACH]81084[/ATTACH]Greetings!

I just wanted to post what happened to my friends 2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe.

While riding around town it started to miss and buck and finally died leaving him stranded roadside. After a tow back to the garage we discovered the battery was dead and not charging. Upon closer inspection we found the main fuse was open, starter relay assembly and harness connector had over heated and melted.

We found no other problems with the charging system. The main fuse had a resistive connection causing enough heat to melt down the connector, main fuse connection and starter relay.

Take away:

Check all your connections and use dielectric grease, especially on the high current charging circuit at the main fuse, relay connector and rectifier / regulator connector.

Pic attached.

Thanks

Marty

Yea man. I had a simular though not quite as distructive experience on my 09 here a few weeks back. I had just completed a 3300+ mile trip from central Fl to Toronto and back. Everything was great. Bike sat a week or so in garage and didnt get rode. The day I put key in to go to store and ........... nothing. No lights, no click of relays or fuel pump nothing. I though battery was dead so I charged up for a few hours. Still nothing, so now I'm cleaning battery connections and connections at frame for ground the whole shebang. Still naada. Got on the site here and started researching. Got to the main power fuse, which by the way is a PIA to get to if you were on the road (I had to take the left passenger floorboard off to service). Removed side cover, left passenger floorboard to finnaly get a good look at it. Pulled fues and it was all corroded to heck. So bad it wouldnt even Ohm ck. New fuse in...vroom. I pulled the whole thing out and cleand as best I could the connections and dieltric them. I sure hope I dont have to mess with this again. Man is it in a stupid place. Down where all the water comes splashing off the rear fender and dirt and crud. Geeze