IGNORED

Yamaha XS 1100 Special

Sylvester

I can vouch for reliability of the drive train.

A fellow I grew up with in my neighborhood had a very used 1980 XS1100. The bike was 7 years old and had never been serviced except for oil that I know of.

We beat on that bike like it was a rented mule. Our youthful lost weekends consisted of seeing who could lay the longest burnout on a deserted road behind my house. :no-no-no:

Rev limiter .... Clutch drop ...BAM ... tires smoke .. over and over . It might not get air in third but it will break a tire loose in second !

I can tell you that bike endured hundred's of full throttle clutch drops, wheelies and all around childish abuse. It never broke.

I can vouch for reliability of the drive train.

A fellow I grew up with in my neighborhood had a very used 1980 XS1100. The bike was 7 years old and had never been serviced except for oil that I know of.

We beat on that bike like it was a rented mule. Our youthful lost weekends consisted of seeing who could lay the longest burnout on a deserted road behind my house. :no-no-no:

Rev limiter .... Clutch drop ...BAM ... tires smoke .. over and over . It might not get air in third but it will break a tire loose in second !

I can tell you that bike endured hundred's of full throttle clutch drops, wheelies and all around childish abuse. It never broke.

At my age the burnouts are not in the cards. But just knowing you can smoke the HD any time you want makes me feel very good.

:farmer:

I have a 1979 XS1100 F (standard) that my father bought new in March of 1979. Great, great bike. The key with the XS is to shift it with authority. There is a 2nd gear issue on some bikes, wher it will "jump" out if gear. The oe fuse panel is weak as well. Be sure to clean all connections, the charging system is somewhat weak.