IGNORED

97 RSTD speed bleeders

Another newbie question: I am going to change out my front brake bleeders to speed bleeders. I found a thread on the 2nd Gen's referring to the part #'s below. I was wondering if my 97 RSTD would use the same part numbers??

Speed Bleeders:http://www.speedbleeder.com/

The SB8125 standard length ones fit the rear caliper and the clutch slave

The SB7100's fit the front calipers

Get 2 of the SB8125's and 2 of the SB7100's

--------------

Another newbie question: I am going to change out my front brake bleeders to speed bleeders. I found a thread on the 2nd Gen's referring to the part #'s below. I was wondering if my 97 RSTD would use the same part numbers??

--------------

I installed Speed Bleeders on my 96. You'll need 2 SB7100's for the front. 1 SB8125L for the rear and 1 SB8125 for the clutch. The SB8125 is too short for the rear caliper.

• 3 weeks later...
I installed Speed Bleeders on my 96. You'll need 2 SB7100's for the front. 1 SB8125L for the rear and 1 SB8125 for the clutch. The SB8125 is too short for the rear caliper.

was going to order these but I found the current bleeders are identical on the front and rear. So I am confused as to why the speed bleeders are different part numbers now for the front and rear systems ???? Am I not grasping something here???

....edit... the SB8125 (M8 x 1.25) was indeed the exact match in height for the original clutch bleeder....thus the square piece of rubber fit back into place perfectly...

Edited by Sexagenarian

• 6 months later...

--------------

was going to order these but I found the current bleeders are identical on the front and rear. So I am confused as to why the speed bleeders are different part numbers now for the front and rear systems ???? Am I not grasping something here???

....edit... the SB8125 (M8 x 1.25) was indeed the exact match in height for the original clutch bleeder....thus the square piece of rubber fit back into place perfectly...

I had just fininshed putting my right front brake caliper back together after tearing it completely down to polish the pistons, remove the old seals and clean out all the gunk from the cylinder walls. I found that for my '97 RSTD, the SB7100's are indeed the wrong size bleeder for the front calipers. It stripped out only about 1/3 the way in. Thank goodness only the threads on the speed bleeder were harmed. I was literally sweating when I re-inserted the original bleeder until it seated snugly and I knew all was well with the caliper threads. I did have the SB8125 bleeders on hand also as the Clymer manual stated the same parts are used for the rear and the front calipers. The SB8125 were longer than the original but they did look like they were the correct thread size. So I backed out the original bleeder once again and placed the 8125 in its place. When it was snugged into position, it was not tight enough as brake fluid pumped through the tubing as if I had opened it a quarter turn. After ruining the SB7100 bleeder threads, I was not about to tempt fate any further, so I again placed the original bleeder back into position and finished all the bleeding with that one. Although my goal of utilizing the speed bleeders was not realized, after bleeding both front calipers, I am going to have to re-teach myself on applying the greatly improved front braking capabilities. Someday, if someone confirms that the SB8125 are indeed the correct bleeders for the front calipers on a '97 RSTD, I may try again to replace those originals with the Speed Bleeders. --Ride safely!!

yup, that was the chart originally consulted, djh3.

note that for all models prior to year 2001, they call for the 8125L for the clutch bleeder. That would be way too long. The 8125 is the perfect replacement on the 97 RSTD so that the square rubber protector fits back into place perfectly. The chart also states the 8125L should be used for the front caliper bleeders. Those also are way too long. Since the chart was wrong about the clutch bleeder, it led to my hesitation on the front caliper bleeders. But you are correct, I should give them a call. Thanks, and ride safe!!