IGNORED

center stand problems

86 venture royale

i've read about several people having problems with the side stand bolt fracturing, but i was pretty surprised to have an issue with the centerstand. the weld broke on mine right where the "pedal" part attaches to the main stand. i'd never heard of anyone having a centerstand problem with the venture, but i guess anything is possible. i found a replacement on ebay pretty easily from an 89 that lines up perfect where the old one came off. that was the easy part. the difficulty i'm having is getting the spring reinstalled on the new stand. has anyone had any experience with this little operation and could share the secret? it's on the side stand now, but i also have a harbor freight lift. just seems more stable on the side stand. any suggestions out there?:confused24:

One trick to installing any tension spring (or removing) is to stretch it out over the edge of a bench and while stretched insert nickels or pennies or washers into the open coils. Place the stretched spring over the pertinent posts or studs and then remove the spacers that you previously inserted. The trick is to get the spring stretched out enough to insert the nickels, pennies or washers.

If you can borrow a drum brake spring tool it will make things fast and easy. Hook one end of the spring on the tab put the ohter over the handle and hook the end of the tool to the other tab. pull up and the spring slides right on.

Here is a pic of the one I use.

Put the bike up on the center stand and you will be where it needs to be stretched the least. Hook the big "C" shaped bracket first at the top, letting it hang down. You can also put some vise grips near the hook of the spring and that makes it easier when using a screw driver to pop it over the latch at the bottom of the stand..

RandyA