IGNORED

Surging, low speed miss

Just had an exchange on facebook with the wife concerning this issue;

Me; broke belt on air compressor, leaving here shortly to get new one, will be coming on home via Tates Creek Road. Need to ride this bike slower than interstate speed so the seafoam can wash out the varnish in the low speed jets

getting it up to operating temperature and let it sit and idle for a few minutes, shut it off and let it sit for a couple hours, then repeat does wonders for clearing it out and dissolving the varnish build up in the carburetors.

Tina; by "ride this bike slower" does that mean you'll be home sometime tomorrow evening?

Me;yes, that is correct

Tina; okay, have fun!

Chat Conversation End

• 1 month later...

Intersting turn of events, bike had not cleared up any more at all, still surging and missing at low speed.

I had an Iron Butt Ride to participate in this past weekend, sort of my Birthday present to myself. Yea, I know I get me strange gifts. Any way i knew it was going to be 95% above 70 mph and that is where it runs best(with the surge and miss), so i loaded my junk in the trunk and off I went.

At about 375 miles it sort of had smoothed out when coming in for a landing for fuel, I noticed immediately after fueling the idle was higher, smoother too. At about 825 miles I ran into some traffic and had to detour to avoid construction, the route took me through 6 or 7 stoplights. Thay all saw me coming and turned red when i got to them. Hmm, bike is idling really smooth, pulling smooth down low with no apparent misfire. Rest of the ride went smoother, faster so I paid no more attention to it

Today i rode to work. Smooth as it ever was, pull smooth in 5th gear from 1500 all the way to my nerve closing the throttle.

Now this same thing happened when I rode the first Iron Butt ride 4 years ago, it was surging and missing, etc. At about 900 miles it smoothed out and ran like silk, except for a clutch issue( thanks again utahventure!).

Conclusion is that running it short distance and letting it sit and idle heavily doped with seafoam did it some good but not as good as running the snot out of it on the interstate, with no seafom.

Bob,

Interesting conclusion. Making me wonder if you had some crud in the tank/filter and it is finally clearing out.

I'm with Pete....my 89 VR rolls smooth from idle to redline in gears with no hesitation or surge. It scares the crap out of me when I ring it out a bit.

Wishing you luck and continued success with this. Learning experience for all of us!

Thanks,

david