IGNORED

Adjusting valves on my 1996 Standard.

I will be adjusting the valves on my '96 and have a few questions I could use answers on.

Once you have measured the current clearance, and figured the difference between current and desired specification (if different), how do you go about finding the correct shims? Do you slide by the local Yamaha dealer with a list of what you need? Is there a kit this 'Board shares among the members, leaving your old shims and taking the new ones?

I am quite used to setting valves from 911's to Nortons. But shim-and-bucket is new to me. Just hate the week-long adjustment should I have to go mail order or ? to simply pick up the shims I need.

Finally, any tricks or tools I can purchase (bucket depresser for example)? Always looking for new tools to add to my collection!

There are a couple of kits floating around with the tool and asst shims.

See previous posts about that.

Skydoc has a kit if you buy your gaskets from him. btw, 2nd gen gaskets fit a 1st gen and are better gaskets.

I have a kit with tool and asst shims and some misc needed tools. You'll need to replace any shims 2.70mm and smaller that you use after using the kit, otherwise can swap shims. Just pay postage & insurance both ways.