IGNORED

engine oil

10-40 is the recommended oil.

Heavier is not always better.

I also have been running the Valvoline 10-40 MC oil. This last change I tried the Amsoil full synthetic MC oil. So far no difference other than the size of hole in my wallet. I was hoping for at least a slight increase in gas mileage to give me an indication that it was a better lube.

Talking about oils,the PO had Castrol 20w/50w in my bike and the shifting was very loud and hard to shift, also was getting alot of engine noise. I changed oil yesterday and put Rotella T 5w/40w in it and it's amazing how much smoother the shifting, and quieter the engine is. The bike is a 1999 VR with 24057 miles,next thing is checking valve adjustment.

I've been playing "musical oil" and only going 2000 at most between changes.

Comparing Lucas 10 - 40 to Lucas 20 - 50 synthetic at $10 a quart the 10 - 40 is smoother shifting for more miles. The lighter weight might be a bit quieter also. I see no better results than I had with Rotella 20 - 50 synthetic and it is almost half the price. The next time I buy oil I am going to try the lighter weight Rotella synthetic if I can find it.

In a few short months I will be having the same discussions :rotf:with other friends as I experiment with 2 stroke oils. (I am getting back into snowmobiles again. :bang head:) Sledders will tell you that you HAVE to run Cat, or Yamalube, or Amsoil. But I have yet to lose an outboard or sled engine running Tech3 from WalMart. (but it does smoke terribly)

Talking about oils,the PO had Castrol 20w/50w in my bike and the shifting was very loud and hard to shift, also was getting alot of engine noise. I changed oil yesterday and put Rotella T 5w/40w in it and it's amazing how much smoother the shifting, and quieter the engine is. The bike is a 1999 VR with 24057 miles,next thing is checking valve adjustment.

Wasn't the oil but how long it had been in there. Due for change when it starts shifting hard and gets noisey. I've used Castrol 20/50 for about 50 yrs with never a oil related problem.