IGNORED

Winnipeg & back in three days?

craigatcsi

I am planning to make a quick trip to get N. Dakota and Minnesota on our map.

We live in Omaha, NE and want to do the 10hr trip to Winnepeg the first day, then to Thunder Bay, down to Minneapolis and back home. All of this in three days, four at the most. Does this sound horrible?

I am thinking of leaving Next Saturday or Sunday. What are the Temps like that far North this time of year?

Do any of you have any opinions or info for us?

Craigr

Winnipeg to ThunderBay is a good road, but narrow and twisty, can be fun, but you will have to keep speeds down and its littered with deer. Forest on both sides of road to keep the critters hidden. I think you could have you hands full in getting it done in that time, but I like to sight see as I ride.

Brian

Winnipeg to ThunderBay is a good road, but narrow and twisty, can be fun, but you will have to keep speeds down and its littered with deer. Forest on both sides of road to keep the critters hidden. I think you could have you hands full in getting it done in that time, but I like to sight see as I ride.

Brian

So realistically, how long would you say it should take from Winnepeg to Thunderbay? When we travel, I always figure 60 miles in an hour and I am usually within 10 minutes or so of what I figured, and this is including stops for gas and quick meals.

Also, I seem to have a talent for finding the wrong end of town whenever we plan to stay in a City overnight. Are there areas of Winnepeg and Thunder Bay that we should avoid picking a Hotel in?

As we have never been in Canada before, do we need to get Canadian money?

If I remember right, I am not allowed to carry a Pistol into Canada, are there any other items that I can't take with me?

Are there special rules about carrying our Medications?

I am guessing that the border guards will search our trailer and saddlebags, so i dont want to have anything that i have to leave with them.

We already have our Passcards.

I appreciate any more info you can offer.

Craigr

I cant think of anything else that you cant bring up here, that I can think of. I always make a list of what I have purchased on the trip and keep the bills whenever I cross the border. It's just to verify anything asked about what Ive purchased, but I don't know if US customs will ask any of the same questions that our Canadian guys ask when I come back.

As long as youre not in downtown Winnipeg you should be fine overnight anywhere. I don't know much about ThunderBay so I think youre on your own on that one, but as long as you stick with a major chain I cant see any issues.(its what I do when I travel, Motel6 or Super8 are pretty good) I would check your map at each gas stop just to verify fuel stops, I am sure youre going to be fine, but lots of stations in the small towns close for the night and on holidays.

I would pm tomephil and ask him if he has any more details for you as I think he is in Winnipeg and rides the area, I am about 6 hours west and this is running from my memory.

PS 100 kph is about 62mph so it takes about an hour to travel 100 kms , 50kms take 30 minutes etc to help you with that conversion. also be prepared for gas prices they vary widely but here we are 1.25/liter so about 5 bucks a gallon. (liter is about a quart for easy figuring), (I just paid as high as 1.40 a liter in BC a couple of days ago)

Canadian money will help, but you should be able to use any ATM anywhere to get it, but there will be a service charge, US currency will work most places but some places treat it as an inconvenience (there are dumbasses everywhere..). and of course your Visa and MC are fine everywhere, but let your card companies know your travel plans ahead so they expect your card to be making purchases in strange places and not suspend your card for suspicious activity.....(don't ask...:) )

Brian

Edited by friesman