IGNORED

NAthcez trace and the trail of tears

Solodadof2

I've ridden the Trace end to end. the Trace is part of the National Park System -

http://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm should give you all the info you need.

It's a nice ride, curvey, lots of sweepers, but not challenging. There's a lot of history to stop and soak up, see & read. Merriweather Lewis died along the Trace, there's some historic buildings and sites. 45 mph speed limit, gotta get off to get gas, food and a bed.

NT is a nice ride, slow and relaxing if you like that kind of riding, too slow for some folks. If you like to camp there are campgrounds along the way and they are free. :) I rode to Natchez and rode it from S. to N. and spent three days taking a couple side trips along the way (visited an uncle in MS, family farm in TN) and camped three nights. Can be hot and muggy in the summer. A lot of native indian history along the way. The northern half tends to be more scenic with more elevation changes. Near the TN river in AL I found a local park with a nice creek to swim in to cool off. You can follow the original trace across the creek on the original stones placed to cross the creek without getting wet.

The northern end has the famous arched bridge http://bridgehunter.com/tn/williamson/5570463P0000000/

Have ridden the TN section many times as it goes thru what used to be family farms, watched them build the trace. Spent many a summer playing in the creek that now has a NT bridge crossing it.

A lot of people ride the trace on bicycle, have to watch out for them especially on weekends.

Edited by meach

I started riding the trace in Natchez and it was a nice interesting ride for about 30 or 40 miles. Then I had to fight to say awake. So boring. I got off, I think on I65 and rode to Memphis and went to Graceland. I wouldn't ride the trace again. You might enjoy it though.

had a blast when I went with Ray&Joan (Colesgrandpaw) weather was perfect very relaxed ride best part no stop lights-signs nor any big rigs allowed! Once in awhile you might get some nut passing you up and we did see several highway patrol on the ride so watch your speed!

THE NATCHEZ Trace from Highway 72 NORTH to Nashville is a very nice ride.... even from Tupelo to Nashville.. But from Tupelo south it's as boring as it gets... the good thing is no commercial traffic and not much traffic at all...Also if you ride to Nashville on the trace, MAKE SURE you eat at LOVELACE Cafe, it's about a 1/4 mile toward Nashville on 101, you can't miss it and it's a MUST ...

Rode 200 miles of it from Wes0778's place (Jackson, MS) into Alabama.

Pretty, nice quiet ride, typical National Park ride, but mostly flat.

Stayed overnight in an okay/cheap Best Western next to a good Mexican restaurant in Kosciusko, MS.

No, not exciting. Once we got away from Jackson, very little traffic. So it has the "away from it" feel.

Would like to do the "Northern" half sometime. Prefer some contour.

HA! We ate there and stayed at the BW, too. Good food!:beer:

When we checked in we saw several pickups in the parking lot. The lady clerk said "they're having a dog show!" Okay,,,,, was field trials. The "boys" thought that was kinda funny.

Thanks, will put the top half of NT on my bucket list. I retire in 21 months.

it doesn't rain Sunday the 18th, me, wife & a cple of friends is riding the trace to Nashville, eating at Loveless & riding back... for us will be about 400 miles round trip... any1 want to oin us? meet us? leave a message...plan to leave here about 8am...eta to loveless about 1:30 -2:00 depending on how many stops we do.....