IGNORED

Bought another 96 RSTC

ToyOdie

Well I just bought another 96 RSTC. It has been sitting for several years and it shows. It only has 11,000 miles on the clock and it does run. It spits gas out of the overflow when it's running so at least 1 float is stuck. The tires are shot and the brakes need to be reworked. That brings me to the seat. What was he thinking????:doh: Does anyone have an original 96 seat with the passenger backrest lying around? With a lot of cleaning (some pitting but very little rust) and a little paint, it should be a good investment. I was thinking of giving it to my son for his college graduation. I'll try to keep you updated with my progress.

Not to be sexist or anything, but it does not look like "he" was doing the decorating. It sure is purty though. It has had a lot of work. I have an original driver and passenger seat in excellent condition, but no backrest, I'll part with them for a hundred bucs and include the shipping to you. I also have the mount hardware for the passenger seat which you might need, most aftermarkets change that bracket. I had to when I put Ultimates on mine.

I think I may have a pic with those seats on the bike in my profile, if not I can send you some top and bottom pics to show the condition if you like. :301:

Good looking scoot! I agree that the seats need to go or be recovered. I do like the seat design, though. Strange how a person would put that kind of money into paint, custom seats, and other things, then let the bike sit and deteriorate.

Well I just bought another 96 RSTC. It has been sitting for several years and it shows. It only has 11,000 miles on the clock and it does run. It spits gas out of the overflow when it's running so at least 1 float is stuck. The tires are shot and the brakes need to be reworked. That brings me to the seat. What was he thinking????:doh: Does anyone have an original 96 seat with the passenger backrest lying around? With a lot of cleaning (some pitting but very little rust) and a little paint, it should be a good investment. I was thinking of giving it to my son for his college graduation. I'll try to keep you updated with my progress.

That looks like a really expensive Corbin set up. If so it is real leather which if I'm not mistaken can be dyed.:confused24:

If not, how would you swap for the OEM seats and back rest off my '98 RSTC?

Thanks for the response from everyone. Right now I'm going to concentrate on making it road worthy. The carbs, tires and brakes are going to be first. I was looking to see if anyone had a compatible seat and I think I have my answer. I'll make note and let you guys know when I get to that step. I had thought about trimming the fringe off and dyeing the seat black. Yes it is a quality seat and I think it's ostrich leather. The color and fringe just doesn't do it for me. The guy I bought it from (only had it 3 months) called Corbin about recovering. They wanted over $500 to do the job. At that cost, I would buy a new seat. Buck horns Ruffy? Maybe Bull horns if we lived in Texas or Oklahoma.

Thanks again guys. I'll keep you posted.

Just a quick update. First of all, I discovered that the bike is actually a 97. The ID sticker says 07/96 but the VIN decodes to 97. That's why the title says 97. The carbs have been off and cleaned. I found a broken cap inside #2. The cap that covers the end of the needle from the diaphram. It's called a screw in the breakdown. The local dealer had one so it's fixed. The brakes and clutch have been flushed and are now working to spec. I'm picking up a battery tonight so I'll be able to start it and get the carbs synced and tuned. I still have a linkage issue and the throttle grip needs to be replaced. (push cable hole broken). If those go well I should be down to mostly cosmetics.:fingers-crossed-emo

I'll keep you updated.

Another update.

The carbs had me climbing the walls. When I bought the bike it would pour gas out of the overflow tubes any time the fuel pump was running. I figured it was the float levels. I was wrong.

After cleaning, inspecting and installing them three times with the same result, I figured out how to gravity feed fuel to each pair off the bike. I used the crossover tube to feed gas to eash pair. I had the float covers off and could check the needle valves. All valve would stop the gas but I could see gas coming from around the outside of the seat on 3 of them. The o-ring was flat and hard. I found a local parts house that could match a replacement. One problem solved.

I installed to carbs and filled them with the pump. Then the float covers started leaking.:doh: I replaced the cover gaskets. Two problems fixed. I installed to carbs again and filled them with the pump. No leaks. Then I started the bike and it ran like #@&%. I got out my carbtune and started the bike again. Before I could get the first two carbs set, the right side overflow started pissing gas again. :doh: I pulled the carbs one more time. Long story short, number four needle was damaged. Another trip to the parts house to replace the needle and seat set finally fixed it.:thumbsup2:

The carbs are synced and the leaks are gone. I still need to work on the mixture to get it to stop popping. Next is the oil change and tires. The rest should be cosmetics.

Another update.

The carbs had me climbing the walls. When I bought the bike it would pour gas out of the overflow tubes any time the fuel pump was running. I figured it was the float levels. I was wrong.

After cleaning, inspecting and installing them three times with the same result, I figured out how to gravity feed fuel to each pair off the bike. I used the crossover tube to feed gas to eash pair. I had the float covers off and could check the needle valves. All valve would stop the gas but I could see gas coming from around the outside of the seat on 3 of them. The o-ring was flat and hard. I found a local parts house that could match a replacement. One problem solved.

I installed to carbs and filled them with the pump. Then the float covers started leaking.:doh: I replaced the cover gaskets. Two problems fixed. I installed to carbs again and filled them with the pump. No leaks. Then I started the bike and it ran like #@&%. I got out my carbtune and started the bike again. Before I could get the first two carbs set, the right side overflow started pissing gas again. :doh: I pulled the carbs one more time. Long story short, number four needle was damaged. Another trip to the parts house to replace the needle and seat set finally fixed it.:thumbsup2:

The carbs are synced and the leaks are gone. I still need to work on the mixture to get it to stop popping. Next is the oil change and tires. The rest should be cosmetics.

I had a 99 RSTD that belonged to a friend, he too had let it sit for years, once in a while he would start it and let it run until the fan kicked on a couple times. Then even that was lost in the hustle of his job. Three years later he ask me to get it going so he could sell it. I had the carbs of and on 5 times, chasing a different gremlin each time just like you. I'll bet you can get the carbs off now without even pulling the tank can't you!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not much progress to report. I fixed the saddle bag that was cracked and painted both bags satin black. They look new with a little patina in the conchos. I've been working on the dent in the tank with little success. The dent is in the narow end of the tank where paintless dent repair can't get the leverage to push it out. I tried the heat gun and ice trick. The dent is smaller but still to big to ignore. I'm seriously thinking about filling it and painting the tank and fenders black. I'd add pin stripes to match the original before I clear coat. Still not sure what I'll do yet. I ordered new Dunlap E3's from Jake Wilson last wednesday and they arrived yesterday. I called right after I placed the oreder to have them check the date code (had a problem last time). Both tires were manufactured mid 2012. Still can't decide what I want to do with the seat. I put it on my bike to test ride it. It's very comfortable and with my RSV risers and extensions the backrest is in the right place. My problen is that it make me sit higher and when I put my feet down, I am barely flat footed. It makes it very hard to walk the bike backwards. Bottom line is, it's not going on my bike even if I can dye it. Wes I might be in touch with you about the trade you offered. By the way, the seat is ostrich leather. I'll post pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, another update. I've been working on the safety chrome. Most of it has been cleaned and polished. I decided that the dent in the tank was still too much. I filled it and am in the process of painting it and the fenders. I going with soild black with a red pin stripe. As soon as I get the tank done I want to ride it to get everything warm so I can change the engine and diff oil. I'll change the coolant also. I've added some pictures of the progress.

I got the tank and fenders painted. I had to sand them down twice because the paint crinkled the first time. After three coats of black, I wet sanded with 1000 grit and buffed them out. They black looks better than stock. I got most of it back together and took it for a test ride. I still need to do some carb tuning, but it's running pretty good. Here are some pictures.

I'll try to get some glamor shots when I get it completely done. Should be soon. I took it for a short ride last night and it still needs some carb adjustments. The balance is good, but the mixtures are off. Another day or two of fiddleing and it should be done. :178:

The seat is kind of growing on me. It does look better with the bike full black. This was a project. Once I put a few miles on her to get the bugs worked out, I'll be putting it up for sale. I had a great time getting her road worthy. The new owner should have years of great riding. Here are some glamor shots I took today. Ther still may be come cosmetic changes before I list it for sale.