IGNORED

New owner of a YSS monoshock

A few weeks ago I noticed the bottom of my rear shock was wet. No puddle on floor but needed a new shock. A Works or Hagon overrated shock would take at least 3 to 6 weeks with an emphesis on 6 weeks so I contacted YSS. They took my total weights and I had a shock in about a1 1/2 weeks. Had it installed last night. So far I find a big difference gut riding 2 up today so will see.

Tried uploading a picture but my new and improved windows 8 computer doesn't want me to . Aaaaaa!

Interesting

I noticed a drip under my rear shock last month. And the rubber boot is all oiled now. BUT the air pressure is maintaining the pressure. Thinking I may need a new shock soon.

Was there much of a price difference with the shocks and shipping to Canada, reasonable?

Interesting

I noticed a drip under my rear shock last month. And the rubber boot is all oiled now. BUT the air pressure is maintaining the pressure. Thinking I may need a new shock soon.

Was there much of a price difference with the shocks and shipping to Canada, reasonable?

I am told that the yamaha shocks leak from the o ring. Some shock just give up the ghost and dump a lot of oil, some develop a slow leak and either start showing drops of oil or just get get oily on the bottom bolt area of the shock. The air chamber may still hold a charge and not leak but the air pressure will eventually push all the oil out.

The oem shock isn't recommended as it is known to fail. The 3 replacement shocks I know about are the Works, Hagon and YSS. I think the Works was the most expensive but that didn't matter as both Works and Hagon have delivery dates of 3 to 6 weeks for the overrated shocks(riding season). I ride 2 up and pull a trailer with hitch weight so I need an overrated shock.

I didn't check Canadian sources as I have found that it is usually cheaper and more important, faster, to order and ship in the states.

I had it shipped to a postal service in Pembina ND. I pay the duty when I take it over the border. I am about 1 1/5 hour from the border.

A lot of members have Works or Hagon shocks but not many have the YSS.

I rode 2 up today and so far so good.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I had a look at the web sites for the shocks you listed. A little hard to navigate with the PDF files and slow slow slow computer. Are the shocks air? it looked like they were manual adjusting and no air assist.

I also found a site called JC Whitney and they claim to have rear suspension shock for a XVZ1300 royal star venture, Progressive suspension 420 model. If this is the case than Canadian parts like, motovan or Parts Canada will also carry this item.

I'm trying the poor mans fix this weekend, half transmission oil, half fork oil 20wt and inject it in the air line.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/420-series-shocks-rear-springs-and-fork-springs/p2017021.jcwx?filterid=d60306y2006j1

... I also found a site called JC Whitney and they claim to have rear suspension shock for a XVZ1300 royal star venture, Progressive suspension 420 model. If this is the case than Canadian parts like, motovan or Parts Canada will also carry this item.

I'm trying the poor mans fix this weekend, half transmission oil, half fork oil 20wt and inject it in the air line.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/420-series-shocks-rear-springs-and-fork-springs/p2017021.jcwx?filterid=d60306y2006j1

The J.C. Whitney shock ad was mentioned in another thread on this forum. The Progressive Suspension site does not show any 420 series shock. It does show a 425 series shock for the Yamaha Rhino ATV. As well, the Whitney ad shows a picture of what they say are fork springs but the picture is of the two rear shocks for the so-called 420 series. I think the J.C. Whitney people are suffering a bit of a brain fart on this one.

Andy

Edited by darthandy
Can't spell ...

I had a look at the web sites for the shocks you listed. A little hard to navigate with the PDF files and slow slow slow computer. Are the shocks air? it looked like they were manual adjusting and no air assist.

I also found a site called JC Whitney and they claim to have rear suspension shock for a XVZ1300 royal star venture, Progressive suspension 420 model. If this is the case than Canadian parts like, motovan or Parts Canada will also carry this item.

Hi, I went through the company below.

http://www.yssusa.com/products_yss.html

They use nitrogen, the spring and rebound is manually adjusted. The rebound looks easy to get at but it looks like you will have to take the shock to adjust the spring pressure. I am setting it up for 2 up pulling a trailer. I did this with my easy to adjust oem shock.

I am told that the oem shocks leak from the o ring.

I may be missing something but if the air bladder is completely separate from the charge of oil, I don't see how adding oil to the air bladder will make it better, but again, I probably am missing something.

Good luck with this!

Tom

A Works or Hagon overrated shock would take at least 3 to 6 weeks with an emphesis on 6 weeks so I contacted YSS.

Curious which Hagon distributor did you contact? Hagon LLC in California typically has both the standard and Uprated version in stock and ready to ship. I got mine from Hagon LLC in the same week with free shipping (in the US). Dave Quinn is the other Hagon distributor, and I got 4-6 week estimates from them and the pricing wasn't as good.

Keep us posted on the YSS and how you like it. What is the warranty on the YSS?

Curious which Hagon distributor did you contact? Hagon LLC in California typically has both the standard and Uprated version in stock and ready to ship. I got mine from Hagon LLC in the same week with free shipping (in the US). Dave Quinn is the other Hagon distributor, and I got 4-6 week estimates from them and the pricing wasn't as good.

Keep us posted on the YSS and how you like it. What is the warranty on the YSS?

It was Dave Quinn. Didn't think to hunt down another distributor. Darn.

I will keep you posted. If I remember it is a 2 year warranty.

Tom

Which shock did you get? I suppose the one that fits ours is the most expensive!

I got the overrated shock. I gave the guy the pounds including hitch weight and he put it together. It looks like a strong spring. Dang windows 8. I would like to post a picture.

It isn't cheap. It was around $55o shipped to Pembina and about $70 duty but I have a shock!!!

See ya soon buddy!

Ordered the Hagon heavy duty from Hagon LLC in Ca. $469 shipping and all. Got it in 5 days in So. In. Happy Happy Happy. Phil.

That's great Phil. I definitely called the wrong Hagon Dealer!

The good news is my YSS is so far doing what it is suposed to do. I like it when that happens...

Tom