IGNORED

statIc on phone cable

jryan

Use smartphone for navigation & music. Previously split fairing & added cable to hook up xm radio. Since have ditched xm for galaxy s3.

Has been working fine until today...day 1 of 2 wk trip.

When phone is outputting (nav or music), I get no static or engine noise. When navigation is not speaking...get horrible static/engine noise.

Unplug phone patch cable & no noise thru headsets...but plug back in & get same static/engine noise...

Tried 2 patch cables & get same from both. Any ideas why im hearing that?

Check intercom volume. On my scoot the lower the IC volume the less static/eng buzz. As long as something is playing its not real noticable, but during song change or the like the static can drive ya nutz.

you might have a ground phase loop' date=' if your phone is plugged into 12v power, try unplugging it and see if it goes away[/quote']

That did it! If I unplug 12v power cord...issue goes away. Ill have to research how to fix that long term. Thanks!

Where is your 12v source? You using the one on left side of fairing? Mine so far hasnt gave me any issues. I know on my 900 vulcan I had to put a "filter" or "trap" on power for my radio. Think I got it from radio shack. Thing looked sort of like an M80. http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266705w345.jpg

Where is your 12v source? You using the one on left side of fairing? Mine so far hasnt gave me any issues. I know on my 900 vulcan I had to put a "filter" or "trap" on power for my radio. Think I got it from radio shack. Thing looked sort of like an M80. http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pRS1C-2266705w345.jpg

Yea I'm using the power adapter on lower left of fairing to power my smartphone.

If a guy adds one of these Radio Shack filters...where does it get installed?

I would split the fairing, put a Ferrite bead over the power supply as close to the lighter plug as possible, you can slip one over ground also and try that first. cheap

If that doesn't work what is happening is that it the phone or device is getting it's ground from a different location than the radio, but the radio is pulling the ground from the device instead of the intended ground or the grounds are out of phase. If you make the grounding point the same and have the same length wire that is one fix. Ferrite bead may help but I suspect it is the power supply from your lighter to your phone. You could also try a new power wire from the lighter.