IGNORED

Front end noise sounds like bearing

Thanks everyone I think I'm going with the Avon Venom AM42 Rear for now MTZ 880 fronts only half done and looks okay-No cupping, hate to mix and match. If I don't like how it handles its gone too. How is the AM41 front does it track on groved roads, should I go with the cobra? I like the Michelin C-II's also. Is it safe to run the 130/90-16 on the front? Under OE rating.

I just swapped out the Metz on the back of mine to the Commander2 and I am really impressed with the difference in the ride. The Metz wasn't worn out, but was cupped badly, but I didn't realize how badly until I rode with the C2. I thought I had an engine miss from time to time but it turns out it was just the vibration from the tire at a certain speed. No noise when I lean the bike over now, and it seems to feel more planted in the corners.

Ive got about 150kms on it and so far I am one happy camper!

brian

I'm going to the E3's for the '07, and it also has a very new Metzler front tire. It still has the little 'whacha-ma-callits' on it, and it's coming off. Anyone want a low mile Metzler?? BTW I can't remember any other brands of tires having the WMC's?? It get's me to wondering if Metzlers method of construction is different for all the other MC tires, and that is what's leading to the chunks and caps being thrown??? Just a wild stab...

I'm going to the E3's for the '07, and it also has a very new Metzler front tire. It still has the little 'whacha-ma-callits' on it, and it's coming off. Anyone want a low mile Metzler?? BTW I can't remember any other brands of tires having the WMC's?? It get's me to wondering if Metzlers method of construction is different for all the other MC tires, and that is what's leading to the chunks and caps being thrown??? Just a wild stab...

Ill try to remember to post a pic of the C2 later so you can check out the tread pattern, but it does have the what-cha-ma-callits on it. On the edges of the tire we call em chicken strips.

Brian

Ill try to remember to post a pic of the C2 later so you can check out the tread pattern, but it does have the what-cha-ma-callits on it. On the edges of the tire we call em chicken strips.

Brian

I KNOW CHICKEN STRIPS!!!!! They sell 'm at KFC.... :whistling: :rotf:

As the Michelin C2 Is a pretty new tire some of you may not have seen the tread pattern before. I think it looks kind of like the Avon style tread and I was told it has the dual rubber compounds, so it shouldn't flatten out like the Metz did that was on the bike until now. (C2 = Commander2) This is 2 pics of reaer tire, I didn't replace the front.

Hers a link to more data about the tire. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/41873/PRODUCT-REVIEW/Michelin-Commander-II-Cruiser-Rear-Tire.aspx

Edited by friesman

Thanks for reply

At high speeds FWY 70-80 mph load wine (like bearing to me) and when I lean into a FWY turn it gets 2x loader, I had FJR1300 for 8 years never heard this before even with tires on there way out put over 40k on it, lots of tires and brakes. So 1st RSV not sure if this is normal or something going on? Planning long ride sure don't want a brake down

Ken

It sure sound like bearings to me. I bought an 02 midnight venture used and it had new tires on it, but whoever did the work forgot to install the inner wheel spacer. I rode it for several months and had a tire issue and had to put new ones on and not realizing spacer was missing my bearing started popping and growling then locked up my front tire at 70 mph, could have been disastrous. messed up quite a bit of parts. Bearings are only around 30 bucks.

I had this same problem last summer. Everytime I leaned into a slow turn at 70mph I could hear a humming noise as if the wheel bearings were shot. It got louder the further I leaned it as well. I was running fairly new Metzler 880's so I ruled them out. I replaced the wheel bearings on my 50k bike thinking this was a permanent fix. Not So! It sounded and behaved exactly as before.

I'm not one to wast perfectly good tires just because they sing to me when I lean. So I've been riding them till I get my moneys worth, which is very soon. I'd like to put Commander 2's on but they don't make a 150/80-16 for the front, so I though I'd check here to see what you all are doing. It didn't occur to me to use a narrower front tire.

Just checked out their site, I guess they only make the 130/90 in the 16 inch rim.

Anyone see any issues switching the 150/80-16 for this size?

D.W.

Edited by jilldwr