IGNORED

need some help

plumberman

Wondering if any one can point me in the right direction ? Last winter put ignition bypass and headlight bypass on 08 venture . One night the bike wouldn't start so i checked all my wiring and connections , everything good but headlight relay just clicked and bike did nothing . Got messing around with main fuse and it started right up . Been starting ever sence . 3 week ago i took it to the dealer to fix the crusie , went to pick it up and wouldn't start , same thing . They changed fuse selinod and nothing . Goinig to pick it up this week cause cant figure it out , they say everything checked out on there end , my relay is working like its supposed to, no ground at selinod but if you jump across it starts . They think its a ground problem but i don't think they have the g2 to figure it out . Any idea's

Pull left side cover off. Solenoid will be visible in there. Make sure bike is in neutral. Jumper across both main terminals on solenoid with a pair of pliers or something heavy. It will spark a little. No need to crank it long, just see if it will.

Does bike crank? If it does, starter & grounds & positive feeds are OK.

If it cranks, then does solenoid make clicking sound when you try to crank it normally?

Gary

Edited by dingy

At the dealers they jumped it with the pliers and it turned over but no clicking when you turn over with key . Just headlight relay clicks . They put in a new solenoid did same thing . Also dims all lites when you try to start , thats why they think it a ground

At the dealers they jumped it with the pliers and it turned over but no clicking when you turn over with key . Just headlight relay clicks . They put in a new solenoid did same thing . Also dims all lites when you try to start , thats why they think it a ground

On the starter solenoid, there is a Blue wire that goes to Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay Assy. And also a Red with white tracer wire that is powered through the ignition fuse.

With the Key at the run position, use a meter to see if there is 12V showing between the Red/White wire and ground.

If yes, attach a jumper from ground to the Blue wire, on starter solenoid (Bike in Neutral), this should engage starter solenoid and crank motor.

If it does, you probably have a bad Starting Circuit Cut-Off Relay Assy., or an open in Blue wire to this relay.

Could be a couple of other possibilities also.

Gary

Edited by dingy