IGNORED

Need some suggestions in rebuilding body on '86 Venture!

Hi Guys

I hope you good folks can help me, please. I'm a new member, with a small amount of recent experience, including an intimate view of a ditch. I was pulling a 300 pound tent trailer and was blown off the road by a gust of cross wind up a gully. It was a low speed crash in which I only got a few bruises. The insurance company wrote off both machines, which I bought back from salvage. I have the trailer re-certified, but I need to get the upper fairings in order and the lights working before getting an inspection on the bike.

I have most of the fairing off, and a source of the body parts, which I will have access to in a few weeks. I'm concerned about the re-assembly. I have been taking pictures at various stages of dis-assembly and trying to keep the parts sorted.

Is there an existing schematic of body parts for this model? Having a reference will help me greatly.

I loved riding my '86 Venture although most was towing a trailer. It just feels good, stable and comfortable beneath me. I'll need to replace the stator. I'll see how it goes when I take the stator off the parts bike I have. What do you think? A used stator or a new one?

Thanks,

Pete

Edited by Road Rider
correct typo

I don't know of a specific schematic that shows the kind of detail you want, however, the service manual gives a lot of body panel references spread throughout the sections. The details are there, just have to find them. There is a general panel schemetic in the manual, but it won't help much. I'm thinking a downloadable manual is available in one of our files section.

BTW, I have found panel repair to be relatively easy using ABS cement/glue/adhesive.... the kind associated with ABS plastic plumbing pipe. There is also a 'Bumper Repair Kit' sold in many auto parts stores that basicly uses the same ABS cement.

Good luck

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'88VR

I've done a lot of repairs and rebuilding mounting points and even cracks in the fairing sections using 2 part epoxy for hard plastics and thin sheets of ABS plastic I get from discarded advertising signs.

Rough up the area wirh sandpaper, clean and clean again with alcohol or Acetone and then laminate to sheets to create a patch. Sand, drill and shape when cured.

Works well and holds up for several years.

On the stator..... as long as you know the transplant is good. Going to an upgrade is always a good plan as these bikes are a bit lacking in that aspect from the beginning. For a stock OEM stator it will cover the stock bikes needs and lil to spare. An upgrade don't give you a lot more but better than the OEM by a bit.

All in how much you are willing to spend.

:mo money:

I have found panel repair to be relatively easy using ABS cement/glue/adhesive.... the kind associated with ABS plastic plumbing pipe.

:sign yeah that: And while you are the plumbing section, look for some MEK, the solvent of choice for cleaning ABS. In fact, I have used straight MEK to glue cleanly broken ABS parts. It is one of the solvents in ABS cement. If you don't find MEK in the plumbing section, look in the paint section of your local Home Center, usually next to the acetone (another good solvent for ABS) and other painter solvents.

Thanks for the glue/solvent info guys. On the stator upgrade...an upgrade sounds like a good thing. What are the critical specs, or where do I get one of these. I'll keep doing my due dilligence in researching this, but I'd also like to tap into the huge experience this group has, thanks guys.

(:p

If you have a stator allready off a parts bike that aint broke,,,i took mine during my rebuild to the electic motor rebuild gguys,, they did our well pump,motor,,,the plastic coating can be, ,coated again for endurance,,,, I am cheap and dont let nothing die,,,now brand new for 25$

O" my fAiring ,,i finally took an old truck bedliner(plactic) and cut pieces off, then drilled holes where the way mount holes are,, some of mine are glued,,some are riveted and glued,,,,,,,,it is thicker at the mounting points now,,,,,,,,,,,,during my rebuild I put it together and took it apart so many times, reefitting, changing,, i actually thought of mounting it with velcro,,,,,,,,,..youll find that all the parts have to allmost fit exactly where. They were or a hard bump will allow the headlight to come out of the metal bracket under the bottom,,,when it does the headlight, ,flags airplanes,,not so good in the woods,,,SURPRISE,,SURPRISE..GOT THE TROPHY FOR THAT ONE .....YOU CAN REALLY REBUILD IT THOUGH:080402gudl_prv:

Can the stator and regulator from my parts bike be tested in a shop or does it need to be in a running bike? I haven't tried to start it yet, but the PO said it would run for me. I'll see how easy replacement is by removing the stator from the parts bike. I'll look into a rebuild.

Thanks for the good luck. Lou.

(:p

i FORGOT SOMETHING COUSE I AM GETTING GRAY HAIR ,, OR SILVER DEPENDING ON WHO YOU ASK

BEFORE YOU TRY TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER depending on how hard you hit .THE DITCH OR ROCK IN MY CASE.

YOU WILL HAVE TO STRAIGHTEN THE BASKET THING THAT HOLDS ALL THE FAIRING ON

ON MINE I PUT IN THE GARAGE ,ON THE CENTER STAND AND I PUT THE MIRRORS ON IT THEN I SAT ON IT,, LOOKED FROM THE FRONT AND MY WHOLE RIGHT SIDE WAS 3 TO 4 INCHES DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER SIDE .

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT TRY AND TAKE A LONG PIPE OVER THE END TO BEND IT BACK , IT WONT BEND WHERE YOU WANT ,,

I HAD TO TAKE A 4LB SLEDGE HOLD IN THE DIRECTION U NEED IT TO GO AN WHACK IT GOOD , 2 OR 3 TIMES AND YOUR GOOD/ COURSE I CAN DO THIS ALONE SOME CANT ,

DOWN UNDER THE COILS IS A BAR I HAD TO TAKE A LONG RAILROAD BAR AND PRY UP AND OUT ALSO PRYED AGAINST THE FRAME, WATCH OUT FOR WIRES AND BRAKE LINES .. OR BUY ASPRIN NOW:lightbulb: