IGNORED

Batwing Fairings

I see folks on Ebay selling 2005+ Royal Star fairings and 99+ Roadstar fairings. I have my 98 wind shield mounts. I don't need a stereo. I was just thinking of mounting a GPS unit in it. Does anyone know where I can get a batwing that will fit a 98 RS?

PS I also like that Klockwerks SP fairing

Do not!!!...i repeat do not buy a fairing off of e-bay,i did,paid $260 ,including shipping,garbage...inner fairing didn't match-up with outer,needed to be sanded primed and painted,cheap fiberglass..i went with a" reckless" came gel-coated and with a 12 volt outlet for $430 that included s&h..threw it right on my bike !!

I saw the Reckless site but they have Royal Star 2005+. Are the fork mountings from a 98 and 2005+ that different? Have a neighbor here with a 99 RoadStar and the windshield and mounts look identical to the eye.

In my experience most Yamaha cruiser models have at least 20-30% of the same chassis parts.

Example all fender bolts for the Royal Star Vstar Road Star all measure 9.25" and their stays are interchangeable. Front fender mounts are about the same. The 96-98 Royal Star and at least the 99-2003 Road Star front ends are bolt on swaps. Rakes might be a tad different.

Before I spend some bucks I just want to make sure that I have at least a fairing where by I only have to tweak the brackets.

Borrow your buddies bike for a couple hours. A tape measure and a square should let you measure up some mounts etc and give you a pretty dang good idea if it will work. I had a 900 Vulcan that at the time nobody made a bat wing for. I found the reckless fellows and called and told them what I was trying to do. Headligh size was a big factor on that particular bike. I had a Memphis shades Phat windshield on it at the time. I bought the reckeless faring and between th etwo sets of brackets fabricated up my own. 3 months later Memphis shades comes out with thier bat wing faring. :shock3: Go figure. I used cardboard and some thin plywood as mock up bracket stuff. Then used that as a template to make the final brackets.