IGNORED

Doing exploratory surgery to 89

Well, I'm in the middle of exploratory surgery to the shaft drive/rear tire of the 89. Last night my wife and I rode about 50 miles. At about 25 miles, I started to hear a 'clunk' somewhere from the rear every time I started from a stop, and every time I shifted the lower gears. That lasted about 10 miles, and then got quiet. The last 15 miles were on the expressway and I was running about 75 MPH, and when I let off the gas, I felt a vibration. Rolled the throttle back on and it got smooth. From a lower speed it didn't vibrate.

I pulled the rear tire off, and the pins on the wheel hub were dry. The rear tire had only been on for about 14K miles, and I greased the pins then. Then I pulled the driveshaft out of the shaft unit--everything was fine, well lubed. Now the only possibility that I think of is the U-joint. Now I'll pull the swingarm and check the U-joint.

Anything I'm missing?

Frank

Yes, it was the U-joint. It looks like it was pretty dry and wore down. I found it with one 'arm' worn free. It's amazing that Barb and I got home OK on it last night. Both yokes were damaged. The back one comes with a new u-joint, but I had to buy the front yoke. I'll replace the seal in front of the u-joint while I'm so close. My 83 developed a leak there and I had to pull it all apart to replace the shaft drive seal, so may as well replace it while it's easy. There were a lot of metal chips inside of the swing-arm, and the swing arm bearing was trashed by them. If the parts are available in the Wisconsin parts warehouse, I should have them by Thursday or Friday. If they come from California, it'll be next week.

At least we got home....At least we got home!!!

Frank

Question.... do you suppose a failing u-joint can be revealed by setting a non-running bike up on centerstand, shift into first gear, and gently rock the rear wheel back and forward to the binding point? Suspicious sounds or irregular 'feel' at binding points could give failing parts away with clicking and grinding.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

Well, my parts haven't all come in yet. Most came from Wisconsin (I live 50 miles SW of downtown Chicago), but the front yoke is coming from California. Maybe it'll be here Tuesday. I'd be more upset if it was warm and sunny outside, but today and tomorrow are going to be cool and rainy.

Frank

Yesterday when I called my local Yamaha dealer, I was told that the only items that haven't come in were the swing arm bearings. Mine aren't that bad, so I thought I'd just clean up and repack the old bearings and put it back together. That was until I got there and and when I opened the universal joint and rear yoke box I found that the other 2 bearing caps weren't included and had to be ordered separately. The good news is that they are in stock in Wisconsin, and will be at my dealer's Monday afternoon. Grumble, Grumble. It's my fault, I ordered the parts online to pickup at my dealer and it does show different part numbers for the 2 caps and clips. It's hard to understand why they are separate---who would re-use their old caps OR replace just the caps??? The front yoke had to come from Japan!

I've attached a picture to show what happened to my u-joint. I don't remember any other discussion about universal joint failures---anybody have one completely bad like mine? BTW, we cut the top part off so we could get it apart easier, but it was also almost as bad as the bottom. I also see that the V-Max and the 2nd Gen. Ventures use the same part. That would indicate that there hasn't been much trouble with it.

Another thought--when I backed off the throttle at 75MPH, I felt a vibration. I immediately rolled the throttle back on and brought it down slow so the driveshaft wouldn't be unloaded. I sure hope I'm not in store for a middle gear failure soon.