IGNORED

Does K&N Air Filter really require rejeting for MKII?

My 89 VR needs a new air filter. I thought K&N were the way to go. A few has said that K&N air filters requires rejetting.

Whats your experience.

Rejetting?

Performance?

Gas Mileage?

$60 for K&N...Whats a fair price for an OEM? An OEM you throw away every how many miles?

It just saves you cost of buying new filters all the time. You might get a small performance increase, but nothing you would actually notice.

But they do save money in the long run. And supposedly they do a better job of cleaning the intake air.

I have had K&N filters when I did dirt bike riding and I will never use them because of what I experienced.

I saw more dirt inside my carbs when I used them than when I used paper filters. They flow more(if the airbox and air system allow it, in the venture it will not), but they do not keep everything out like they claim. Friends that run sand rails refuse to use K&N filters as they let sand into the engine. This is my experience, granted dirt riding is a lot dirtier than road riding.

Other bikes have the air intake where it get's very dirty air, the Venture has the cleanest air intake location possible. Unless you ride behind semi trucks on dirt roads, I'm betting your air filter looks clean or can be cleaned by tapping the dirt loose. In the last 3 years I check my filter at every oil change and it still looks fine. In fact the filter can be insanely dirty and still flow 100% of the air that the box let's into the engine. The air filter in the venture is really oversized, so you can get a good solid 2 years out of them, unless you are one of those guys that puts 30,000 miles on the bike a year, then it is an issue. I just open the air box and thunk the filter on the bench twice a riding season to knock loose the dirt, lightly blow it with low pressure air and reinstall, the inside of my airbox and carbs looks squeaky clean every time.

Edited by timgray