IGNORED

Lowered Rear on RSTD today

Phoneman1981

Hello Everyone: After having first hand experience with Patrolman46's lowered RSTD a few weeks ago, I decided to have the modification done to mine also. Just as with Dan's I am really impressed. Took it our for a spin tonight. So much nicer to mount and dismount. I now feel like I sit IN the seat rather than sit ON the seat. My feet swing up easy to the floorboards, I no longer feel like I have to PICK UP my feet at the knees. The lower center of gravity really helps on the slow speed handling. Stopping is so much more comfortable. I now wish I had installed this modification sooner than later. So blessed to have the advice of my extended family on this site. First nice weekend of the 2013 season will arrive this weekend. I am so ready!!!!!:)

Hello Everyone: After having first hand experience with Patrolman46's lowered RSTD a few weeks ago, I decided to have the modification done to mine also. Just as with Dan's I am really impressed. Took it our for a spin tonight. So much nicer to mount and dismount. I now feel like I sit IN the seat rather than sit ON the seat. My feet swing up easy to the floorboards, I no longer feel like I have to PICK UP my feet at the knees. The lower center of gravity really helps on the slow speed handling. Stopping is so much more comfortable. I now wish I had installed this modification sooner than later. So blessed to have the advice of my extended family on this site. First nice weekend of the 2013 season will arrive this weekend. I am so ready!!!!!:)

:thumbsup2:

Hello: Patrolman46 and I both ordered the Baron's rear lowering kits. I did not take any before and after measurements of my bike, but If I remember correctly the lowering kit on Dan's RSTD bike made 1 1/4" improvement. My heals are no longer 1 1/2" off of the ground. We did need to adjust the head lights after the installation. Lights were shining a bit high. The rear kits cost approx. $ 170 and the shop labor was $150. We were both pleased. Nice modification. I hope this helps?

So there are the DiamondR leveling Links that RAISE the rear end to help with low speed handling and there is the Baron's lower kit that LOWERS the rear end to help with handling.

Hmmmmm

:confused24:

I don't get it....

The experts out there please explain this to me ( and I am sure others)

Thanks

VentureFar...

I too installed the Baron's Lowering kit on my '06 RSMTD, and got the kit from a member of the forum (thank you). I did take measurements before and after, and it lowered the rear end of the bike exactly 1.5 inches.

Personally, I think the bike is much better lowered...than raised.

But hey...what do I know:confused24:

:backinmyday:

IMHO, You would know a lot more than I do about this as I am relatively new to the Venture/RSTD. Thank you for your input.

In comparison to raising the rear of bike, which I have done and it helped a lot with low speed maneuvering, how do you feel the handling of your RSTD was affected? Was is lighter in the front? More stop to stop response?

I have a RSV and am constantly trying different things on trial and error just to find different setups that are more comfortable. Risers on the way.

I have gone back to stock level, new tires, and it is fine. But I cant help but feel it could be better. I have considered lowering the bike all the way around just for saddle height. I still feel like I am ON the bike, not IN it.

Previous goldwing was the most comfortable bike ever. I have not given up on RSV, just seeking that perfect long range setup for one up/sometimes two up.

Thanks Miles:bowdown:

James

James, I understand WHY some riders raise the back of their bike, or the leveling kit, and yes it does make for better front end response, and parking lot handling.

However, in lowering the rear of my bike, I found it to be more comfortable to me, handles just as well, or better...because I am more comfortable. The bike has not suffered any...none...nada.

It does give you a feeling on sitting "in" the bike, rather than "on" the bike.

Steve: Thanks for the heads up about the curves. I got a few more miles on solo this afternoon with a few curves with no issues. My wife joined me after work. With the extra 130lbs I like the stabililty and comfort even more. I did however bottom out slightly when I entered a parking lot. More testing to follow tommorrow. Calling for the 80's. Benefit ride for the local Eagles lodge. :)

Hello do you have the links they took out? like to get rid of them? I have the lowering kit in my bike it was in it when I bought it. I want to return it to stock and try that before I go any further. If I don't like stock then I'm gonna put in the diamond R kit to raise more.

I also have mine lowered, I have one warning for you.... watch corners if you're riding two up.

That "may" be a good point, regarding cornering limits when riding two up, but since I do not ride two up, unless you call an aux. fuel cell a passenger, then I won't have to worry about that. I have ridden mine hard through the corners after lowering it, and it does just as well, if not better than before. No cornering limits for me.

Why not adjust your rear air suspension for the passenger, to avoid cornering issues. If you run 40 psi riding solo, then run 47.314159 psi when riding two up. That is air in the rear shock...not the rear tire.:rotf:

• 3 weeks later...

I am really enjoying my lowered bike. Wish now it had been the first modification. Since we ride two up most of the time, I increased the air in the rear to 47lbs. That alone has made quite a difference. We were bottoming out and scraping the muffler tips occasionally. Seems much better now. With the added air, I can still sit flat footed on the bike. I really like how the bike handles and stops with the lower center of gravity. :)