IGNORED

Starter cranks w/o button

After installing a Stebel air horn. My bike cranks w/o hitting the start button. Prior to adding the horn we had to have a "before" sound. Key was on and start was hit instead of horn and the chasis ground arked. Testing done so far: Start switch, Relay, Kick stand safety, clutch switch.

HELP!!!!!! I have no idea where to go from here

HELP

Well, I would check every inch, of every wire that you added, or had you grubby little mits in contact with.

OR, maby the start switch has gone, to a DEAD short, or fused itself into the Closed position.

The Start Switch, sends a ground to the start cut off relay, which is being held " closed" by other circuits.

So, you have a shorted to ground wire, between the " Start Switch" to the " Start Cut Off Relay" or from that relay, going to the " Start Solinoid , or start Relay, as yamaha calls it "

From the Start Switch on the handle bar, follow the cable, it should come to a " Pull apart " plug, pull it apart. Now does the starter still run with key ON ????

If not, Start Button is bad.

If it does, then wire from plug you pulled apart going to Start Solinoid, is Grounded, ( should not be )

Remove wire, from Solinoid, Does starter still run ????

IF yes, you have a Bad Solinoid.

If, Not, then the wire you just pulled going back to the Start Cut Off relay, is shorted to ground someplace.

HOwever, as I said at top, go back over every inch of work you did while installing the new Horns. ( Every Electrician Knows this, We learned it the Hard way )

I had a 79 BMW, that was sitting in the garage, with No Key in it, and it was Cranking by itself. But thats another story.

I completely removed all Horn wiring and returned to "stock" situation and still have the problem.

Start switch: I pulled the connection apart and problem does go away, BUT the switch tests good with ohm meter and visual inspection.

Testing the wiring beyond the plug shows a grounded circut.

does this help? Any other ideas! Where are the Sart cutoff relay and Sart relay located on the bike?

Remove the Small Wire from the Main Start Solinoid, Now check to see if this wire is Grounded.

Then, Check continuity from end where you removed the wire, from the solinoid, back to the plug from the Start button.

It should be " above ground " If its grounded, then this ground is what is Actuating the " Start Solinoid "

It goes thru a " Start Cut Off Relay" ( at least on the 1st Gens it does ) It is possible that this relay in shorted internally. However that would be a LONG SHOT, but nothing is impossible.

Find the Start cut off relay and pull plug out of it, see if this helps.

As to location of Relays, I have never worked on 2nd gen, only 1st Gen.

sombody else might answer that question.

Its behind Headlight on 1st gens, but I don't know where it is on 2nd gens.

If the wire you remove from "Start Solinoid" is shorted, then you will have to follow it Inch by Inch, until you find the Short.

One more comment. In the work you were doing, Is it possible, you crossed the Plugs on a couple of Relays ??? I think the Plugs are all different, however, I can't be positive about that point.

The starter relay is near the battery box the positive battery cable goes to the starter relay. If the problem goes away when you unplug the starter button you have eliminated a shorted wire and determined the switch is causing the problem. You should be able to test the circuit by unplugging the switch and jumping the wire together to see if it cranks the engine. the starter button should make and break continuity when pushed and released.

Sorry, I misread, you said you pulled plug close to start button.

and problem stopped.

Check to see if the Contacts on the Start Button Switch, are touching metal near the mounting point. Most likly. Or the two wires going to the switch, have gotten pinched together somplace in the handle bars.

I removed the fairing and tested the switch at the connector and determined that the switch is not the problem.

I have since used a SCCR off a 01 rsv to test and the SCCR is not the problem.

Tests on the Relay prove that it is ok.

I seem to have it narrowed down to the wiring between the start switch connection and the SCCR. I am contimplated ordering that wire harness and starting over with it or going through the existing wires and attempting to repair it. My thoughts are that if it is bad in one spot chances are it is bad in others.

Now I need a little help from Yamaha in that they will sell me just that circut and not the whole wiring kit.

Thanks for all the input.

Allen

• 2 weeks later...

Found some time to do more testing and found that the short went away when unhooking the radio system.

My only thought is that the radio goes silent when the start button is pushed. Sooo when the start button was pushed and the ground arked it fried something in the radio.

I have sinced realized that the sound out of the radio/CB is gone as well.

Who da thunk it?????

Does anyone know of a radio repair service for these bikes? Does anyone have an extra 2nd gen radio around? (hopefully for less than the $900 yamaha wants)

Allen