IGNORED

Carb & Fuel Pump Storage?

GolfVenture

This may be a stupid question...but...

For those who have spare carbs and fuel pumps, whats a good way to store them for a long, long time so the rubber pieces and gaskets do not dry out until you need them.

Send me the carbs, I will store them for you on the RSV. They will fit.

I also looked for the enricher plunger you need, but I don't have an extra.

Gary

It is called "Misting Oil", and most commonly used for coating cylinders for engines stored for lengthy periods, where it is introduced thru the spark plug hole. Work the oil into the carb vents such that it gets down inside the float chambers. Work the oil into the fuel pump diaphragm chamber by cycling it a few times from a battery. It takes this oil a very long time to evaporate. Every couple years, turn the stored items upside down. Not every auto parts store sell it, but it can be found. Certainly available online.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

'83,88

I just bought a set of carbs for an 06 RSV as spares for my 03. I have a spare fuel pump also. I was wondering how to preserve all the spare parts in case they are needed. I'll be looking into the misting oil. Any other suggestions?

If you can't find misting oil. they sell fogging oil around here.

:stirthepot: If you can't find that, then I would get an old 55 gal drum, fill full with synthetic oil, (preferably new). Slowly heat it with a torch to 101 to 102 degrees. Very slowly dip the carbs from top to bottom, 3 times.

Wait one day, repeat dip. Discard oil. Works every time.