IGNORED

Enclosed vs. Open Opinions Please

RoadKill

Behind my 2003 duramax dually - with an open 1800# car trailer and a 4000# 71 chevelle for a total weight approaching 6000# she pulls down 16mpg highway. With a 6x12 enclosed trailer filled with plastic pipe fittings with a total weight less than 2500#, 10 mpg tops.

The wind load on enclosed trailers are unbelievable. I thought it would not be because the trailer is narrower that the topper on the truck, and only about 6" taller.

I have safely pulled it behind my 99 suburban, but would never attempt to pull it behind the 95 blazer if I had to go over 45mph. The wind drag increases exponetially.

Hey Roadkill, a motorcycle dealer here in East Peoria sells those fiberglass two-bike trailers with the lid that tips up. they are also the Victory Vision dealer and BIG DOG dealer.

They are Bikers Dream, 1107 E. Washington St., E. Peoria, 61611, 309-699-3929.

give them a call. If you come up this way, give me a shout, I would like to meet up with you.

I've been there a few times, but didn't see any of those trailers. I hear they are pretty pricey though :rotf:

I think everyone pretty much has me convinced to go the open route. I'll let you know if I make any moves.

Jay

This is mine I will let it go for 2600 hundred.

I will allso bring it to you. It is used when I got it. 3 new tires.

I fix it for 3 bike or 2 big bikes, or one. Here is a few pictures.

It's been to Sturgis, Fort Collins, and Ks.Ctiy 3 times.

That looke like a nice trailer. What type of Gas mileage you get when you have it loaded.

Curious as the truck looks like a Trailblazer. I get about 14 mpg with my trailer (with a trailblazer) @ about 70 Mph

Brad

This is mine I will let it go for 2600 hundred.

I will allso bring it to you. It is used when I got it. 3 new tires.

I fix it for 3 bike or 2 big bikes, or one. Here is a few pictures.

It's been to Sturgis, Fort Collins, and Ks.Ctiy 3 times.

You've got my interest. I would be interested in what kind of mileage you get also and the actual trailer dimensions. I have almost decided to just get a 6x12 enclosed and not worry about being able to haul two bikes. My friend says he would probably not be able to get away that long for several years anyway. Here's a pic of the new 6x12 I think I've settled on $3750. Just have to talk the wife into it.

It's a Lincoin Navigator, and towing the trailer I get 9 miles per Gallon.

The outside dimensions are 12 x 7 ft. Two big bikes it's weight is 3600 lb.

Roadkill, that is a nice trailer, the door in front will be nice.

I thought it had to be a 7 ft wide. After I responded the first time, I noticed it did not have a front door. I would think that would make it hard to get to the front, but I still haven't ruled it out. Do you think a side door could be put in? Easily?:confused24:

Quote:

Originally Posted by karbar99 viewpost.gif

Here are a couple pics of my brothers trailer. I thought he was explaining a square aluminium trailer with the front corners angled at first. When I seen this, I was amazed. Amazed that it could haul 2 full dresser's. Fiberglass and light weight. Yes he stores his bikes in it for the winter. The cost now I really can't remember him telling me.

Could you find out what brand that is and let me know?

Thanks,

RoadKill:2133:

2003 Royal Star Venture

I don't know where I'm going, but I like how I'm getting there.

image.php?u=293&type=sigpic&dateline=1178359312

Jay, Here is the website for the trailer:

Hope this helps,

Barry

Guest Saddletramp

I pulled a 6x10 to Illinois and back when I picked up my Venture in Pekin. I found that by backing out of the throttle and running on cruise with the Venture on board that I could run 11 to 12 mpgs. If I wanted to push upwards of 70 plus my mileage dropped to 10.5 mpg's. The truck was a '96 1/2 ton 4wd chev. with a 350 vortec and an a/t with 130,000 plus miles and the cruise was set at 66-68 mph and a wedge shaped cap on the truck. So many people have to accelerate and brake like they're driving a race. Keep your foot out of it and drive like you've got an egg under the pedal and you will see a huge difference in mileage. The man that I borrowed the trailer from hauls two harley's, a fat boy and an ultra, to what ever rally he wishes to attend and does it with a 1/2 ton also.

I pulled a 6x10 to Illinois and back when I picked up my Venture in Pekin. I found that by backing out of the throttle and running on cruise with the Venture on board that I could run 11 to 12 mpgs. If I wanted to push upwards of 70 plus my mileage dropped to 10.5 mpg's. The truck was a '96 1/2 ton 4wd chev. with a 350 vortec and an a/t with 130,000 plus miles and the cruise was set at 66-68 mph and a wedge shaped cap on the truck. So many people have to accelerate and brake like they're driving a race. Keep your foot out of it and drive like you've got an egg under the pedal and you will see a huge difference in mileage. The man that I borrowed the trailer from hauls two harley's, a fat boy and an ultra, to what ever rally he wishes to attend and does it with a 1/2 ton also.

Know what you mean. My new to me vehicle has the info computer that tells you what your instant mileage is. Its really interesting to see how your driving style affects the gas useage. I figure when I use a trailer I pretty much have to not care what the mileage is. I really think I will end up using it for a lot of other jobs more so than hauling the bike and they will be shorter trips. Also, the one I posted the pic of is a low profile so if I end up with that one it will have less of an affect than the cheaper ones I originally thought about getting.

Side Note: On the cheaper ones the ramp door height was only 60". The Venture height is 61.6".