IGNORED

OLD xm special deal... and a review ???

Guest Torpedo

Guest Torpedo

Back before the board crashed there was a special deal posted on here about getting XM radios with an employee discount and the employee codes were listed. Does anybody remember that or was i dreaming?? i know thats how i got mine and im pretty sure it was from this site. it was a LOOOONG time ago. Like 2004.

Anybody?

Now for the review question...

Has anyone used the XM or Sirius radios that have the antenna built in? That looks like it would be a great alternative to having an antenna wire looped around 100 different places to take up slack. Ive been told that they get bad reception. Any truth to that??

Guest tx2sturgis

Well back in the day...satellite radios were kinda expensive..so an 'employee' discount was a way to help grow the market.....now you can get an XM or Sirius radio for $30 or less....and there is that monthly fee....which I pay years in advance on a package deal..makes it around 6-8 bucks per radio per month..less than a few beers and certainly less than I tip bar wenches in a month...but I have to tell ya, I have 3 radios and subscriptions, and its worth every penny.

Try it, youll like it!

And by the way, you can buy XM antennas that have a 4 foot or a 1 foot cable...really nice for using on the bike.

Guest Torpedo

The employee discount was nice because the deal with the Roady XT let you just pay 3 months of service and they gave you the radio free. I liked mine, but some body felt like they needed it more than i did so they stole it out of my work van while i was working down in Baton Rouge.

Ive been doing a sampling of XM and Sirius and i think im going to get a Sirius radio this time. The music just seems like a better fit for me than the XM does. Plus, even though XM declares commercial free they still run XM commercials every couple of songs. Sirius has been about 99% free.

Can anyone recommend a Sirius radio? Ive got my eyes on the Stiletto 100, but might get something cheaper. Ive seen a few streamers on ebay and RAM makes a nice mount for those.

i think im going to get a Sirius radio this time. .

:confused24:

A lot depends on what you like sports wise. XM has MLB and NHL which I don't believe Sirius offers. However the fact that they support a platform for Howard Stern is enough of a reason for me to stick with XM.

Guest Torpedo
:confused24:

A lot depends on what you like sports wise. XM has MLB and NHL which I don't believe Sirius offers. However the fact that they support a platform for Howard Stern is enough of a reason for me to stick with XM.

ya know... i hate to think some of my money might be going to that idiot. But i just wasnt as happy with XM as i have been with my Sirius "sample." I like the NFL, too so thats a big reason for Sirius.

Wont matter soon anyway if the FCC approves the Merger (Read Sirius buyout)

I've been hearing that a merger is on the horizon for at least 2 years now. If it happens, thats fine with me. I just hope Sirius gets to keep its format.

I have been a subscriber to XM for just about as long as they have existed. I think it comes down to the "extras". XM has MLB, NHL and NCAA hoops. Sirius has NFL, NASCAR and Stern. I can't stand Howard Stern so if nothing else, I don't want to contribute to his salary. But my first love is basball and that is why I am with XM. I think the music is the same with either. XM does have some commercial stations but for any type of music you want, there is at least one commercial free station. If having some commericials on stations I don't listen to keeps my subscription price down, then that is fine with me! I listen to the CNN station quite a bit too. You need to expect commercials when you're listening to a TV broadcast.

Guest Torpedo

Ya, the one that killed me the most was the comedy stations. They are FULL of commercials. But after listening to Sirius their comedy stations are full of commercials, too. I guess it just comes down to the type of songs that are played. I really like the NFL and Grateful Dead channels!

I have had XM for several years also. MOST of the music channels are commercial free...EXCEPT for them touting other XM channels which are STILL commercials and I could do without them. I don't like Howard Stern but Opie and Anthony aren't much better so you are paying the salaries of one or the other. :)

I do like Fox News Talk's Brian and the Judge and also O'Reilly as well as Glenn Beck. I think that Talk News may be on Sirius also but I don't think that Glenn Beck is.