IGNORED

Laptop/Notebook question

Wolfie

Any computer people out there? Can you have more RAM added to a notebook? If so, how do I do it or do I have to take it somewhere if it can be done? I know how to do it on a desktop or tower but not the laptop. Thanks in advance.

Wolfie:)

Most laptop have an access door in the bottom. Turn it off. Close it. Flip it over and then look for a door about half the size of a poker card. There's usually a couple of screws holding it on. You can usually add ram or upgrade it by replacing some. How much does it have now? What make and model is it ?

Your model number should actually look like this a200-stxxx or a205-sxxx

I can look it up on line but need the exact model number.

One reason I have not moved our company to Vista is its slow and a memory hog.

You may not be able to solve it by adding ram as the program that won't run may not be compatible with Vista. Check the maker of the software's web site for any updates to the software so it will run on Vista correctly.

Your model number should actually look like this a200-stxxx or a205-sxxx

I can look it up on line but need the exact model number.

One reason I have not moved our company to Vista is its slow and a memory hog.

You may not be able to solve it by adding ram as the program that won't run may not be compatible with Vista. Check the maker of the software's web site for any updates to the software so it will run on Vista correctly.

The program has Vista requirements on the back and I matched them all. It's Guitar Hero III. For requirements, XP 1 GB RAM for VISTA 2 GB RAM. I got this comp to be my gaming comp and take the old one to the office as a internet comp. Really starting to hate Vista though.

That is most likely your problem. Toshiba unless you got the upgraded video card uses the local ram also for the video. So you would def have to up grade your ram. There is most likely two ram ports on the bottom of the comupter; if Toshiba didnt take them up with 1 gb card each to make the 2 gb. if that is the case go out and buy a 2 gb card and replace one of them so then you will have 3gb and that should be good. Vista is def a RAM hog and a lot of people are complaining about it. I remember when ME and XP first came out and they were both Ram hogs also. It takes time for them to get all the bugs out. Wait till Vista SP2 comes out then hopefully they will have it figured out LOL. Good luck with your gaming.

TheKid

My Toshiba Satellite 1415-s173 with XP Home, died a few weeks ago.

It had 512 MB Ram. It was a bit slow, but no slower than this new laptop with 2GB RAM.

The 2GB RAM cards are really expensive, but I could use a couple after running VISTA for a week, but XP wasn't all that great at first either.

MS ought to get their UIs running right before releasing them. :headache: