IGNORED

Long Distance Riding - Part One: Setting the Scene

twigg

Nicely written, and sympathetic to my own views.

On the matter of accident experience among LD riders versus others, I completed a 2012 IBA Memorial ride on Saturday. All the dangerous stuff happened in the first 200 miles: a truck decided to turn left between me and the car in front of me. Could have happened at any time in the ride. And then, a buzzard took off too slowly and hit my windscreen (and almost took out OWEN riding behind me). Again, could have happened at any time.

That said, part of the reason the danger happened early is because we planned it that way. We rode a good but not-limited-access Texas Highway in the morning, so that we could ride the nice-fat interstate on the way home. We intentially limited our accident exposure when we needed to.

Also, I got extra sleep for days prior and pre-hydrated for days prior. I carefully prepped my bike. In short, I was probably more prepared than the usual casual rider. Preparation begets safety. And LD riders, in my experience, are as a rule prepared.

I've never successfully explained my desire for LD riding. I'll look with interest to see if you give me some ideas to try out. :)

Dave

Nicely written, and sympathetic to my own views.

On the matter of accident experience among LD riders versus others, I completed a 2012 IBA Memorial ride on Saturday. All the dangerous stuff happened in the first 200 miles: a truck decided to turn left between me and the car in front of me. Could have happened at any time in the ride. And then, a buzzard took off too slowly and hit my windscreen (and almost took out OWEN riding behind me). Again, could have happened at any time.

That said, part of the reason the danger happened early is because we planned it that way. We rode a good but not-limited-access Texas Highway in the morning, so that we could ride the nice-fat interstate on the way home. We intentially limited our accident exposure when we needed to.

Also, I got extra sleep for days prior and pre-hydrated for days prior. I carefully prepped my bike. In short, I was probably more prepared than the usual casual rider. Preparation begets safety. And LD riders, in my experience, are as a rule prepared.

I've never successfully explained my desire for LD riding. I'll look with interest to see if you give me some ideas to try out. :)

Dave

Congrats on the Memorial Ride. I almost got involved myself this year.

I don't know that I can explain the desire either .... My Ride Reports are popular, and people say nice things about how they felt they were on the ride ... that sort of thing.

So I just try to tell it how it is for me and people take away from that whatever they can.

Also, there are people out there with a great deal more experience than I have, and much to contribute. All I am is the person who decided to write it down, hopefully simply as the basis of a discussion where everyone has a chance to contribute.